Gibson Brands Forums

Led Zeppelin - How Many More Times (Royal Albert Hall, 1970)

Shnate McDuanus

there are many overdubs, and mistakes that happened that got edited out, however, I love those boogie woogie jams

If you have 40 minutes to spare, check out this whole lotta love medly, THE finest example of whole lotta love ever recorded

the best 40 minutes you will ever have

except for sex with a supermodel

:P

I was fortunate to have been able to see LZ live in Houston once in the late 70s. I'm glad I saw them' date=' but they weren't the best concert I've ever been too...As I remember it, and that's not all that well, they didn't sound too good at all.[/quote']

Wouldn't that have been around the time where Jimmy started getting sloppy because of his smack problem?

But even if he had been on Thorazine, I would have loved to see Zeppelin.

I beg to differ' date=' the worst show I ever saw was a very drunk (or high) Page and Plant. 90% if not more of their released live material is not live at all, it originally started as live but loads od studio majic to cover up for pages drunking mistakes and such. So I stand by what I said, great Studio but suck arz live.

[/quote']

I am going to have to disagree. Those are all awesome live shows- especially the medley. There are so many great live performances by LZ that are recorded with audio/video and countless others that weren't. In fact, when Zeppelin was a younger band they were known for giving amazing performances; I have seen an interview where the band and manager Peter Green are talking about it.

Later on they did get sloppy, especially when Page was half-asleep from doing boy while onstage and Bonzo had drank a barrel of alcohol. I wasn't around to see Page in his heyday, but my uncle saw Zeppelin and he said they were trashed and they sounded pretty bad. However, they still did some really good shows despite the ones that were a debacle. I think saying that they "suck arz live" is a bunk claim. Me and Jesse could probably name several shows that were top-notch:

BBC Sessions?

Song Remains the Same?

Royal Albert?

Knebworth?

And...here's "Bring It On Home" from the RAH in 1970.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm3zUQjG5no&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

Cool... Love this tune.... One of rocks great guitar riffs!!! Also look at Jimmy's guitar at 2:53... There is a nice close up of his pups. Neck pick up is no cover black and white' date=' middle pick up is covered, bridge pick up is no cover all black.... Wicked! That's the guitar that got stolen at the airport....

The three pick up Jimmy Page black beauty reissue just has all covered pups... See it here...

Some people want to see a band live and have them sound like exactly like the record and not have the band improvise, too me improvising is the reason to see a band live, esp the guitar heroes. Most 3 piece bands back in the 60-70 didn't sound that great because of the missing over dubbed guitars and the crappy sound systems.

there are many overdubs' date=' and mistakes that happened that got edited out, however, I love those boogie woogie jams

If you have 40 minutes to spare, check out this whole lotta love medly, THE finest example of whole lotta love ever recorded

the best 40 minutes you will ever have

except for sex with a supermodel

[lol]

Oh yeah, I already knew about the studio doctoring. It just doesn't ruin it for me. I don't care.

As for the "Whole Lotta Love" medley, yeah. I think we have roughly similar tastes. [thumbup]

Archived