Gibson Brands Forums

Does an EQ really affect the sound of an acoustic?

macaibhistin

As in, cutting a square hole into the body and implanting an EQ/tuner unit. I know many purists like the idea of the LR Baggs undersaddle mounted active pickup. Certainly the salesman who sold me on the SWD, and the J-45 I almost bought, claimed that guitars without the EQ box sound more pure and actually better since they aren't cut into. I personally think there might be something to it, as I can honestly say I love the sound of my guitar. However, I also really like the sound of some other guitars I've played (particularly some Martins and SimonPatricks belonging to friends) and they have the onboard EQs. I can't really tell if cutting into the sides of the body to mount the EQ really affects the sound that much. :)

I'd love to hear the opinion of others who probably have a much better ear than mine. Thanks.

I do the odd gig in different places. Pubs big and small, churches etc. It really depends on the amp/PA IMO. Through a decent PA (I often use a Bose system) there is enough versatility on the eq and mixer settings to dail in a desired tone.

Sometimes I might be plugged directly into the house PA and in those circumstances it's great to have a little control over the tone. My SWD (cutaway) has a notch filter too which helps, along with the eq to dial out the feedback frequency, which will differ for each venue.

However, you can go too far. I have been told by sound engineers at some places to to "stop bloody fiddling with your gear". I think he was referring to the eq but now I think about it.............................?

Plugged into my Marshall, you might set up the sound but want to tweak it between songs so again the onboard controls are very useful, rather than having to get up/lean over and start playing with the amp settings in the dark when I can't find my glasses.

Cutting holes in one's beloved Gibson is another matter. My SWD has all factory installed kit and it was one of the deciding factors when I chose it over a Hummingbird (Yeah I know, Jinder don't read this!)

For me, if you really want a guitar that can do this, buy one with it already installed and use that one for gigging.

I don't know how much the barn door type electronics would affect tone. Most of the tone is coming from the top with the back being next in the equation. The upper bout where the electonics are installed is a very strong area that would contribute the least to the tone I would think.

That said, I don't like the way they look. I have found that installing aftermarket pickups is the way to go. I have K & K Pure Mini Westerns in both my Gibsons and love them. Pure acoustic tone and if I want to EQ or something, I plug into my external LR Baggs PARA DI box before the amp. It also boosts the signal which can help since the K & K is a passive pickup so I don't even need a battery in the guitar like I do for my Taylor which has an old Highlander UST.

In 1982 when I had had my J45 for about six months our chrurch put a new PA system in.

So the J45 had a LR Bags undersaddle and EQ unit in to the top bout.

I have regretted it ever since but as for a difference in sound in the last 27 years despite failing hearing I have never thought about a difference when acoustic whereas the differeance amplified is still staggering.

Archived