Gibson Brands Forums

Help with a J160e

Aaresz

I've got a J160e peace and it was made with both knobs listed as volume, instead of one volume / one tone. Anyway Gibson sent me a tone knob some time ago I just never replaced it. I was going to put in on today, but I cant seem to get the old one off. I don't want force anything, but using gentle pressure has not worked. I'm pretty sure I'm smarter that the knob, but you never know. What am I missing? =D>

To begin with. I assume you bought the guitar as new? Its discouraging to think that an error like that could happen from the factory and get by all the...ahem!...inspections! At any rate...those knobs can be real buggers to get off, at times. I would first, protect the top, and take a pry bar.....JUST KIDDING. The advice that RED333 gives is good. I have had luck with prying uner alternating lips of the knob with a DULL instrument and some padding under the pry tool. Its seems to take a lot of force at times. At times, I have said 'forget it' ....Not worth the risk of damage. ...RRod

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I'll give Red333's way a try, otherwisw Uncle Buck has properly played upon my fears. It'll be stew-mac for me. As for Retrorod you are correct, I am the original owner and Gibson was properly embarassed when I called. Though it has not shaken my belief that they are the finest instruments made. If nothing else it makes mine unquie.

Put a soft cloth underneath the nob and around the shaft. Gather up the corners so the cloth surrounds the knob. Pull up and the knob should pop off.Red 333

That worked Red333.

Thanks again.

That worked Red333.

Thanks again.

You're welcome. That's a tip I picked up on one of the Gibson or Epiphone forums, and I found it helpful several times myself. I'm glad I could pass it along.

Red 333

As a follow-up.

I put the replacement knob on last night that Gison sent me. It was almost as hard to get on, as it was to get off. Really tight fit! As I was pushing in I heard a slight noise that really made me panic, but then it went on. I thoughly inspect the top around the knob, and using a mirror and flashlight through the sound hole without finding anything that looked amiss. The noise was kinda a "pop" and I think it was just the plastic knob, should I be concerned further? Anything special I should look for?

Archived