Gibson Brands Forums

The "Here I Go Again" Poll

FirstMeasure

Other than coverdale any other somewhat original members left in that band? Didn't Vai play this but Vandenburg assist in writing this tune?

No, this was before Vandenburg and Way Before Vai joined the band. John Sykes wrote all the popular stuff like "Still of the Night, this was a holdover from the UFO/Deep Purple line up. They just rerecorded it when Vandenburg joined the band. "Here I Go Again" was written around John Lords intro.

Vai did finish an Album with Whitesnake that Vandenburg had started, but that was like 1991 or 92, and that Album never really took off. Both Vai and Coverdale agree that they weren't the best team.

Vai did finish an Album with Whitesnake that Vandenburg had started' date=' but that was like 1991 or 92, and that Album never really took off. Both Vai and Coverdale agree that they weren't the best team.[/quote']

I think that album is Slip of the Tongue, Vai overplays in that album IMO...I mean it is just too much.

Their styles just didn't mesh. David Coverdale and Steve Vai are both Band Leaders with strong personalities and visions. That's just too many Cooks in the Kitchen. Besides, Whitesnake needs a Blues edge.

As for the two, I have a hard time deciding. I like the dual guitar lead with great harmonies on the original, not to mention John Lords is playing the keys. But I like the aggressive Arrangement of the modern version.

Archived