Gibson Brands Forums

Eddie Cochran

fretplay

Yes the crash was just outside Chippenham in Wiltshire near Bath where we used to live.

My first job was in Medical Records at St Martins Hospital in Bath where he died.

Once , briefly, I looked up his records and found just a brown folder with his name on.

I wrote RIP on the back and put it back in file, rather ashamed of the macarbre elements in that really.

Actually - in ways I'm embarrassed to say it - it's one of the most genuine imitation 175s built.

In the mid 1970s there were ... questions ... about Gibson. Ibanez made some reeeeally nice nearly identical copies except they're clearly marked "Ibanez" stedda Gibson. In fact, at the time there were those who might have suggested - just maybe - that the Ibanez of the time was better built.

Heck, there weren't any Gibbies around where I live within some hundreds of miles or more that I was aware of, so... this one went home with me. 35 years later I still reeeeeally like her and she sings quite well. I think she's still pretty cute, too.

In fact, it's one of what's called a "patent infringement" Ibanez. Gibson sued and won, and that's why Ibanez guitars since then are no longer direct copies of Gibsons.

I've not come across an Ibanez I've particularly cared for since then.

m

Actually - in ways I'm embarrassed to say it - it's one of the most genuine imitation 175s built.

In the mid 1970s there were ... questions ... about Gibson. Ibanez made some reeeeally nice nearly identical copies except they're clearly marked "Ibanez" stedda Gibson. In fact' date=' at the time there were those who might have suggested - just maybe - that the Ibanez of the time was better built.

Heck, there weren't any Gibbies around where I live within some hundreds of miles or more that I was aware of, so... this one went home with me. 35 years later I still reeeeeally like her and she sings quite well. I think she's still pretty cute, too.

In fact, it's one of what's called a "patent infringement" Ibanez. Gibson sued and won, and that's why Ibanez guitars since then are no longer direct copies of Gibsons.

m

[/quote']

looks good from here what kind of pickups you have in there?

I dont think that is macarbre at all Jotnt in fact a very nice thing to do. My daugther lives in Corsham near to where he died. It seems that even the locals dont know exactly what happened, after all, a clear road, good weather no other traffic involved. I guess had it happened today he would have survived but 1950s medical care was a little different from today.

He was big in the UK hence the tour. He had more considerabily more hits in UK than at home in Calif.

Hey Milod, off topic I know but I have an Ibanez AM 205 1984 not exactly a Gibson copy but a wonderful hand made guitar, knocks spots off Gibson no wonder they sued.

These 80s Ibanez are quite collectable now. I was offered 2000usd for mine some years ago, not sure if I'd get that now.

In fact' date=' it's one of what's called a "patent infringement" Ibanez. Gibson sued and won, and that's why Ibanez guitars since then are no longer direct copies of Gibsons.

m

[/quote']

American patriot Toby Keith endorses Ford and American values with his Japanese guitar painted like an American flag...

Working class American hero Bruce Springsteen (gag me now) nasally mumbles while playing his Japanese Takamine...

Martin endorsers Crosby Stills and Nash (gag me again with a fresh spoon) used to endorse Alvarez-Yairi...

So it would seem to me you are walking among giants --- and besides you can't be faulted for opting out of a Norlin era Gibby...

Actually I wanted a Gibson but... no place to get one that I knew about at the time. This is pretty sparse country out here, and was as much so in the mid 1970s. This is what I could find at the local music store - and 5 other instruments of sufficient quality I still have them today. Oh, add my big 120-watt tube amp for stuff I got over about 5 years. I didn't know anything about Ibanez, or obviously that their instruments of that era would be legendary.

But the "patent infringement" instruments apparently all were awfully nice. Mine is over 35 years old and plays wonderfully. I'll check on the pickups, but there's a claim as I recall that they were "hot" for the time.

Weaknesses: I had buzzing like crazy with the heavy strings which is what kept the thing in the case for a couple decades, literally. It took years also to figure out why. I looked and looked and couldn't find anything. Then I decided I hadda either play the thing that had a shape and feel that I loved or dump it. I put on light strings and - get this - a little felt shim between the pick guard and the bridge pickup. No more buzz. Plays like a dream.

The joint at the neck has a little separation of the finish.

That's it after more than 35 years.

I should perhaps polish it more, but... why...

m

I love Eddie Cochran! I can't believe he was not well known in the US! How can you keep still with this song?

"I'm in bed with a- achin' feet" woohoo! Rock 'n Roll!

BTW.. this is the song that got Paul McCartney into the Beatles. He played it upside down and backwards for John when they met at the Woolton Village Fete (on a right strung guitar) and he knew all the words to all the verses and sang and played at the same time. After much practice I can JUST play it and sing it at the same time without playing backwards!

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Archived