Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J45 nut width?

MattZ

I am sorry if this has been discussed many times around here, but I did a quick search and didnt see anything.

Can someone give me a quick lesson, or point me to somewhere on the internet that will discuss nut width on J45s?

From what I can tell, all the newer Standard J45 models are 1 11/16", but some of the older ones are 1 3/4" and some are 1 11/16". I spoke to someone at Sam Ash who told me that ALL older J45s are 1 3/4" and I know that's not the case because I see plenty for sale that aren't.

Basically, to make a long story short, I am in the market for a J45, and I'd prefer one with a 1 3/4" nut width, and I can't figure out if there's a pattern.

thanks everyone.

-Matt

so........since 1and 11/16= 1 and 22/32.....as opposed to 23/32 we are talking about 1/32 of an inch. .........I think:-k . My taylor was 1 3/4 @the nut. I switched to a J45 Standard this year and the nut width feels smaller , actually it feels just right !

so........since 1and 11/16= 1 and 22/32.....as opposed to 23/32 we are talking about 1/32 of an inch. .........I think:-k . My taylor was 1 3/4 @the nut. I switched to a J45 Standard this year and the nut width feels smaller ' date=' actually it feels just right ![/quote']

And 1 11/16 is only 1/16 of an inch from 1 3/4. A negligible difference in my opinion. The neck profile, not the width matters most to me.

yeah, the problem is that my main fingerpicking guitar is 1 13/16. And as crazy as it sounds, if I want to fingerpick on a J45, there is a big enough difference to cause (me) problems on a 1 11/16. I can't explain it. But that's why I was hoping for 1 3/4.

I am sure that everyone here is right, but I swear, if you go look at ebay or other places selling J45s (vintage or otherwise), you will see everything from 1 11/16 to 1 23/32 to 1 3/4 being advertised for a J45.

Yea, I can't stand the small profile with the 23/32 neck. I remember an AJ I played in around 2000...it was new and had an adi top and a fuller 1 3/4 neck. That must have been a special one. Harry's Guitar Shop had it (they picked it out when they went up to visit the factory) and I wish I would have bought it. My OJ has the 1 3/4 nut width and a little bigger neck and it is heaven. I am looking forward to getting the Fullers J35 reissue when I understand has a fuller profile with 1 3/4 neck as well. I do wish the regular gibson models would come with a little fuller neck and 1 3/4 but I guess I am in the monority.

• 2 weeks later...
I am sorry if this has been discussed many times around here' date=' but I did a quick search and didnt see anything.

Can someone give me a quick lesson, or point me to somewhere on the internet that will discuss nut width on J45s?

From what I can tell, all the newer Standard J45 models are 1 11/16", but some of the older ones are 1 3/4" and some are 1 11/16". I spoke to someone at Sam Ash who told me that ALL older J45s are 1 3/4" and I know that's not the case because I see plenty for sale that aren't.

Basically, to make a long story short, I am in the market for a J45, and I'd prefer one with a 1 3/4" nut width, and I can't figure out if there's a pattern.

thanks everyone.

-Matt[/quote']

Hi I'm new to this forum. My Dad had a beautiful Gibson J45/J50, It has been about 10 years since I've seen it last. It's really bothering me that I forgot what it looked [unsure] like regarding the type of pick-guard(shape & color and the type of bridge used . I first played it when I was a young child around the age of 7 probably 1971. I played it as a teenager and an young adult. I remember it had a VERY narrow nut. I contacted a person who deals with Gibson Flat-tops and was told from 1966 through the late 1960s the J45/J50 guitars had an extremely narrow nut width just barely over 1 1/2" inches. That helped me narrow the years of the guitar. The guitar(last time I saw it) was in excellent condition. Kept in its case in the closet. This Guitar was promised to me throughout my life. My dad passed away and his [cursing] wife will not give it to me. [angry] I do believe in Karma, and I will NEVER give up!!

1965 LG0

1969 J50

1970-72 J50

1976 Guild D25m Had this for Years

1972 Guild D25CH

1972 Gibson J40

1970 Gibson Bossa Nova with Ceramic Piezo

2000 Martin D16GT

2009 Taylor 310 CE- Just bought new

Alvarez RD 20SC

George Washburn 1897 Style Parlor

+