Gibson Brands Forums

New Song Voodoo

Rambler

Started work on a new Gary Davis tune today. Despite being a new song (Oh Glory How happy I Am) in different key (G) it came together quickly. On about the 5th pass, his music started coming out from my guitar and hands. Not perfect, but it was there. His lines, his sound. Ive learned lot's of tunes but nothing quite like this, maybe because the learning process was much more incremental. Anyway, I never felt the degree of identity with the artist as I did today. Kind of a "me/not me" thing. Anyone else been there? JK

Don't know that I've ever felt quite that much in the zone, and certainly not with a Reverend Gary Davis tune. It seems that the moments I've had in the past that might be similar to yours usually resulted from taking a break from something and then coming back to it, only to find my head/fingers cleared resulting in much larger leaps of progress and getting much closer to the sound I was imagining to begin with.

At any rate, congratulations on your efficient work with the good Reverend's music! That's good stuff.

All the best,

Guth

I've always liked this song a lot--one of the first Gary Davis songs I ever worked on. Got it to where I was doing the same licks (well- except for one chord formation where I've always used as 'shorthand' version..:) ).

But then one day I just started playing and singing this and it simply rolls out of the guitar. I started playing more of it my way, with some modifications to the guitar licks. ( If that's what you mean. )

Archived