Gibson Brands Forums

Questions about unique factory features on Gibson Les Pauls...

Axeologist

Thanks Blackie... Lets see if this works.

I am new to Forums and fairly new to Les Pauls. I picked up a 1992 GLP Standard Wine Red from a music store. I had to have it because it really sings (even without an AMP) and it has what I think are some unique features. There is a Classic 1960 WR on the left and my Standard on the right. Let me know if you can help me answer some questions about this sweet guitar and then we can move on to someone elses.

1. What color is this? Wine Red Oxblood? I can see the wood grain in the light but this color seems to dark to be Wine red.

2. The Rosewood is very dark. I like alot, but why does it seam to be darker than others?

Thanks for your help... I hope I am doing this right! :-k

th_IMGP4146.jpg

th_IMGP4147.jpg

Les Paul section.

This is a les paul thread. [angry]

Ok, I take it you are asking about the guitar to the right, with the lighter plastic. The one with creme plastic is wine red to me, the other looks like it's a little darker, maybe it's the lighting or something.

I may be in the wrong spot (thread) but like I said I'm new.[blush]

I'ts not the lighting. The way you see it here is the way it looks in the room and against many other Wine reds I've seen.

I gues my question is can this be an Oxblood? I can see the wood grain so...?

Lovely pair of guitars and welcome to the forum.

It's not really dark enough to be Oxblood; at least not in the 'Jeff Beck Oxblood' meaning of the word. That particular instrument's finish is so dark as to appear almost black under normal lighting conditions and without something like an ebony Custom for the sake of comparison. It's also more of a brown than red and is a solid colour - not translucent - therefore the grain wouldn't be visible.

jeffbeck2-1.jpg

My guess is it's simply Wine Red with possibly a slightly darker dye than usual, or else on a slightly darker than usual slab of maple, as maple can vary in colour.

Rosewood, too, varies greatly in colour and shade. Some are quite light and some are, like your example, almost black.

Tell us more about both please!

I have to agree with Pippy it's just darker. It's definitely not lighting. LOL

Here's a pic of my studio which is about the same color. It's Wine Red.

I also have an Ebony Fret board. Compare the grain on your LP's

Ebony has a tighter grain then Rosewood. Welcome to the Forum you

have a couple beautiful LP's. Here's a pic of my Studio. The top of the

guitar just looks lighter because of the flash. The bottom is more what

it looks like.

IMG_0172.jpg

CW

Lovely pair of guitars and welcome to the forum.

It's not really dark enough to be Oxblood; at least not in the 'Jeff Beck Oxblood' meaning of the word. That particular instrument's finish is so dark as to appear almost black under normal lighting conditions and without something like an ebony Custom for the sake of comparison. It's also more of a brown than red and is a solid colour - not translucent - therefore the grain wouldn't be visible.

jeffbeck2-1.jpg

My guess is it's simply Wine Red with possibly a slightly darker dye than usual' date=' or else on a slightly darker than usual slab of maple, as maple can vary in colour.

Rosewood, too, varies greatly in colour and shade. Some are quite light and some are, like your example, almost black.

Tell us more about both please![/quote']

OK. That's good info. I wasn't sure if you could see wood grain in an Oxblood. Now I know![biggrin]

I lifted the pickups out and it's the same color inside the rout with the LPS pencile marks so I'm sure its not a refinish. I guess the Rosewood they used on the neck that day was just Dark. Good for me as I LIKE IT! Thanks everyone for helping me out with these questions.

Archived