Gibson Brands Forums

What can anyone tell me about this L7 ?

jimmygibson

I am obviously a newbie.

Someone gave me this guitar to sell for him and I told him that it was a Gibson L7 and it could be worth a lot but it needed to be worked on by an expert. I have found an expert but I would like to know more about it before I invest in its renewal. I think the serial number printed inside the guitar is 98138 but the initials HAM are also written inside. I enclose photos as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Gibson L7 Electric Guitar Photo #1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/muycool/4617213709/

Gibson L7 Guitar - Top Of Inside Sticker # 8

Gibson Guitar Model L7 Electric Guitar The Head of the Guitar - Photo # 3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/muycool/4620244822/

[confused]

I am still kind of new at this and definitely not an expert on archtops, but are you sure the top was refinished? The site says that the natural top was available since 1939, but the finish does look like it is in good condition. I guess you would have to compare it to the back. The back and sides look like some beautiful stained bird's eye maple! The tail piece looks like post 1956. That is about all I got! Good Luck!

I agree with the '44 date, and yes a natural finish was an option starting in '39. The tailpiece is not original, or proper, for this guitar. It would have had/should have the flat bar raised diamond ES-175 type tailpiece.

Just for informational purposes here's a pic of my '47.

3202433668_e5c80b14ed_o.jpg

These guitars, in "fine" condition, sell for between $2000-$3000. Because of the tailpiece, crumbling pickguard, and natural finish (even if original), the value of this guitar is in the lower half of that range. If the top has been refinished, the value will be hurt again, probably be betwen $1500-$2000. You also stated this guitar "needed to be worked on by an expert", so the current value is indeterminable from the photos only.

Because of the tailpiece' date=' crumbling pickguard, and natural finish (even if original), the value of this guitar is in the lower half of that range.[/quote']

??? We've been over this before. On most archtop models, natural finishes were done in smaller quantities (are more rare, harder to find), and higher-grade woods were chosen due to the fact that the attractive grain would show off better (more) on a natural finish than on a sunburst (and I'm talking generally, not about the guitar being discussed on this thread). These two factors alone jibe completely with the fact that since I started buying/trading Gibson archtops 35 years ago, blond examples have always generally commanded higher prices than their sunburst counterparts. If you have a different perspective based on fact and logic, I'm all ears. [biggrin]

If the top has been refinished, the value will be hurt

Definitely true.

There have been Gibson archtops produced with natural tops and stained backs/sides. I've seen L7's, Super 400's, and possibly other models I'm forgetting that were finished this way by Gibson (there's at least one illustrated in one of the Gruhn/Carter books). I don't know when this practice began, and I don't know if the finish on this guitar is all original (I'm still on the fence), but it's not unheard of.

It's difficult to tell from these photos, but it almost looks like the crosspiece at the top of the tailpiece is wooden. If so, this would be normal for an L7 dating from 1943 to 1946. At any rate, I wouldn't be so quick to declare that this tailpiece is not original.

That pickguard should be removed and stored away from the guitar (or discarded, unless you want to try to save the binding). When those pickguards decompose, they release a gas that damages metal parts (and is probably toxic to some degree).

Here's my two cents.

I agree with JimR56 that the tailpiece could well be original, especially for a wartime guitar. The top does look refinished to me, though.

Obviously, the bridge isn't original.

The pickup is a DeArmond FHC "Guitar Mike" (sic) in rather bad condition. As far as I know, they were made virtually without change from the 1950s through the 1960s, although the control box and cable hookup has changed over the years. Anyone seen a bakelite knob like that before? I've only seen clear round ones on the DeArmonds.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether the tuners are original? I've never been clear on exactly when the tulip pegheads were introduced.

- Kilgore

The pickup is a DeArmond FHC "Guitar Mike" (sic) in rather bad condition.

Yup' date=' the gas released by that pickguard has corroded it pretty badly (the upper frets, too).

As far as I know, they were made virtually without change from the 1950s through the 1960s, although the control box and cable hookup has changed over the years. Anyone seen a bakelite knob like that before? I've only seen clear round ones on the DeArmonds.

Yes, I've seen several examples of those with bakelite knobs. I think the first one I owned had one. Anyway, found a nice photo online:

1956_DeArmond_Guitar_Mike.jpg

Thank you all for the interesting commentary and information about this guitar. Just to let everyone know the color of the front of the guitar is almost exactly the same as the color of the back of the guitar. I will put up new photos after I get the guitar worked on. BTW, can someone please explain to me exactly how to insert photos into these posts instead of merely inserting photo links to the posts? Thanks.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-vTN7q13bnZZWVkNWYzYWEtZTg2OC00ZDBmLTgzYjMtMjIwZTA0NjQwYmI3&hl=en

Link above to Gibson's 1946 brochure shoing the Natural L-7 with a little clearer illustration of the original tailpiece

Gibson did not produce any known catalogs or brochures during WWII - 1943-1945

Thanks, but the Google link doesn't seem to be working. I get:

"Sorry, the page (or document) you have requested is not available. Please check the address and try again."

When you post a message here, look at the square-shaped icons in the top of the window. I don't know what browser you're using, but you should be able to see the function for each one by placing your cursor over them. Anyway, click on the one that looks like a mountain with a small yellow sun above it. Paste in the url for your image between the and the tags that are automatically inserted. Like this (add [/img] immediately after .jpg)...

http://www.vintage-guitars.se/1956_DeArmond_Guitar_Mike.jpg

Archived