Gibson Brands Forums

Steve! Say it ain't so.

TommyK

Haha " we don't want people selling them overseas" Sony has pulled crap like this before too.

"excuse me sir, I would like to buy that Les Paul there please, I have 4000$ cash"

"No, cash blows, why are you such a n00b?"

"uh I'm sorry? Do you have someone that works here that speaks english? I just want to buy a guitar."

"OMGWTFBBQ?"

"Uh I think I'll go elsewhere thanks."

I'd say I can't believe it, but considering who and what it is I can.

If you're worried about identification, there are things called I.D cards, they could always ask for one.

Buy using a credit or dedit card , they track you, your spending patterns,sell that info. so you can get junk mail and telephone calls that try and sell

you more stuff or donate money . with cash they cann't do that. that's the information age. We ..... are the infomation.

My Gear :-)

‘10 LP R0 50th Anniversary Version 3 1/500 (Cherry Burst)

‘09 LP R9 50th Anniversary (Heritage Dark Burst) 1/500, Bought 4-2010 new

‘10 PRS 25th Anniversary Santana Model ,10Top / Santana Yellow

‘09 LP R9 50th. Anniversary 1 of 59 (Rust Burst)

‘09 LP R0 Standard Ebony VOS

‘09 “Wildwood” CS - 356 Quilted maple & Korina

‘05 Les Paul Standard Faded T.B.

‘08 50th comm.edition, G.O.M. Flying V

‘08 July G.O.M. Longhorn Double Cut BV (Trans Blue)

‘08 Firebird VII (metallic red)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (black / rosewood neck)(Fat‘50’s pups)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (natural / maple neck)

1999 MIM Fender Stratocaster ’70’s reissue (white / maple neck)(‘69 pups)

1987 Japan Squier by Fender, Stratocaster (white / maple neck)

1986 Ovation Model # 1767-Legend

‘08 Marshall JVM 210H - 1960 AX Cabinet

‘10 Fender Blues Deluxe reissue

And some pedals

Yup,

Just signed into my FaceBook account. They turned my 'Interests and Hobbies' and other profile information into suggested links. i.e. links to other pages where other people and corporate entities can view my profile without my permission and spam my message box. I just deselected all the suggested links. >poof!< my profile page is now blank. I now have no personality.

Profile that FaceBook! :-

But... I can still converse with my family. [biggrin]

Try buying a drink on a plane or any other of the dozens of places that are not accepting cash anymore. Come on people it's a modern age process of changing over to electronic payments only cash costs money for most businesses. So many people get excited about somebody not accepting cash and start screaming about it being illegal and wrong and discriminatory when it's none of those. It's completely legal and up to the business the only legal requirement is for a bank to take cash to settle debt and that's probably going to change.

As for the poor old woman bullshit she had options also she could go to Best Buy to get her I pad or she could have gone and bough a single use credit card with a fixed value but no it's always more fun to whine to the news and turn a companies choice into a scandal for some people. So what if Apple doesn't want to take cash it's there choice and it doesn't seem to be hurting business.

Yup' date='

[b']I just deselected all the suggested links. >poof!< my profile page is now blank. I now have no personality.

Profile that FaceBook! :- [/b] [biggrin]

Tommy now they will give links to Psychologist for you to get help with your personality! [lol]

So what if Apple doesn't want to take cash it's there choice and it doesn't seem to be hurting business.

I agree completely. A private business should have the option of running their business as they see fit, even if it is a bad idea.

All kidding aside, there are two ways to look at the "a private business has a right to... (whatever)."

1. "We" - just about anyone who reads English well enough to read this - believe that a private business should, in general, be able to do whatever it wishes. But far aside from that as a mode to allow a degree of freedom, most governments have required also that businesses follow a large number of laws ranging from payment of taxes to following "labor" laws.

2. Privacy of personal information is also a strong belief among most Anglophones. Yet we're discovering increasingly that we have very little privacy compared to a half century ago thanks to technology, electronic "money" exchange, etc.

So... what we have here is a "new" sort of dilemma not just for our politicians, but for "us" as a culture. How do we balance certain business practices against individual freedom and privacy? Do we have a right to use our nation's currency as a hedge against the national government - and private businesses - invasion of our privacy?

Mark this, it's a problem that we will see governments and cultures wrestling with increasingly over the next 20 years. Yahoo's collection of information for "targeted" advertising is another example, Google's records of your searches...

EDIT: BTW, to show how this is truly a dilemma - where there's good and bad by any perspective - consider the ramifications of "private" medical records available to medical professionals anywhere in the US or the world. If you get sick away from home, it's wonderful and may well save your life. Or... will it be used to deny employment due to medical history or...???? Ditto DNA information, and...

m

EDIT: BTW' date=' to show how this is truly a dilemma - where there's good and bad by any perspective - consider the ramifications of "private" medical records available to medical professionals anywhere in the US or the world. If you get sick away from home, it's wonderful and may well save your life. Or... will it be used to deny employment due to medical history or...???? Ditto DNA information, and...

m

[/quote']

Therein lies my paranoia. Government and industry have proven they are poor stewards of private information. Information that can and is used nefariously to profile, deny employment, credit, and bankrupt the individual.

That is why I gave the Cens-less takers the lawful information they are allowed to 'enumerate'

"2".

That's it.

I think Orwell was "right on" but just a quarter century or so ahead of his time with 1984.

One might note we already have had schools peeping on students with Web connections... Each iteration of our computer operating systems allows greater control by external forces to determine what you're listening to for music... etc., etc.

The U.S. Social Security Card was for a very long time illegal to use as an identity card because such a thing smacked too much of the old Soviet Union and facist dictatorships.

Now the U.S. is talking about national identity cards. I find it interesting - and the not-so-funny thing is that the younger generations don't even know what we're talking about and probably in general find the idea appealing, especially as it appears we're approaching a national medical system in the U.S. as is found in many other nations.

I wonder how appealing such will be when one is denied employment because of dna discovered from our medical records.

m

Archived