Gibson Brands Forums

L-00 Pick guard

SWAviator

Hi...I have a wonderful 1932 L-00, 12-fret. At sometime in its past it lost its pick guard and someone...horrors of horrors...glued a Martin PG to its top. I disposed of the alien but I cannot find a proper Tiger stripped guard for this little jewel. Any suggestions?

Welcome.

You would probably be best finding a decent luthier and having a pickguard made for you.

You could try calling Gibson customer service to see if they will sell you one.

Also there are some makers who hake guitars based on the L-00 like the C-10 made by Collings and they sometimes use tiger stripe pickguards, so they may have one in stock that you can purchase.

Another option is to look out on ebay for a replacement, but it may take a while and people seem to expect stupid amounts of money for these sort of parts.

Finally you could place a want ad here on the forum in the Trading Post, or register a want ad on ksdaddys Junk part registry.

Good luck!

Greven firestripe Tor-tis is about as close as you can get to the appearance of a '30s Gibson firestripe pickguard: check it out here. The modern Gibson firestripe-ish guards are attractive enough, especially the newer ones, but don't much resemble the originals.

-- Bob R

Greven firestripe Tor-tis is about as close as you can get to the appearance of a '30s Gibson firestripe pickguard: check it out here. The modern Gibson firestripe-ish guards are attractive enough' date=' especially the newer ones, but don't much resemble the originals.

-- Bob R[/quote']

I second this notion. I have a Greven L 00v and it has an awsome almost identical 30s pick guard . :-k

IMHO, there really are no modern equivalents to those vintage, fire striped, celluloid pickguards. Greven gets closer than anyone, but even those are not close enough to my eyes.

Alas, that great, old celluloid is now only made in Italy and I know of know US source for the fire striped stuff. If I were you, I'd watch ebay. Now and then (once or twice a year), one shows up.

BTW, would you mind sharing pics of your L-00? I'm a big fan of those 12 fretters (and hove one myself).

Thanks to everyone for their quick response to my inquiry. I'll post a picture of my 12 fretter as soon as I get around to taking one.

I've owned many vintage guitars over the years, Gibson, Martin and others, but this ol' thing knocks my socks down every time that I play it. It can roar like a big guitar and when I'm holding it close I can feel the vibrations in my chest. I do wish it had the original pick guard and its original finish. It is now in a natural lacquer finish. It isn't a great collectors guitar, but what a player!!

I really lucked into this guitar. A old gentleman that I know (he's 90 and plays tennis everyday) had as friend who passed away. The friend was a musician and had a great assortment of guitars, basses, amps, banjos, etc. I sold all the instruments for the family with the the pick of what ever instrument I wanted for my trouble. [biggrin]

Yup-

I played an old L-00 12 fretter-- it was SOOOO light!! A nice touch of warmth in the sound, too.

I have a greven guard on my L00 custom-- it looks great, but I don't think a greven guard would be the thing for an actual vintage L00. Better to cut something out of linoleum if you can't find an original. seriously.

Archived