Gibson Brands Forums

Walked into the local Boot Barn

Californiaman

Hmmmmm.....

Dunno...

But I just got done processing some high school rodeo pix...

The bull "cowbells" were attached to bulls. The boys sometimes were - and sometimes weren't.

<grin>

The girl who's the local high school graduating class "student body president," btw, has a nice rodeo scholarship in Oklahoma for rodeoing. She's also a letter winner in basketball and way more than half cute.

Four-time world champion bareback bronc rider Marvin Garrett's "little girl" also graduated from high school today. Sheesh. I tease her that I'm old 'nuff to be her grandpa. Problem is that I'm right. Her dad and older brother Weston both are guitar pickers as well as good hands at anything needing done.

Hmmmm. Maybe KSG is watching rodeo... <chuckle>

m

Hmmmmm.....

Dunno...

But I just got done processing some high school rodeo pix...

The bull "cowbells" were attached to bulls. The boys sometimes were - and sometimes weren't.

<grin>

The girl who's the local high school graduating class "student body president' date='" btw, has a nice rodeo scholarship in Oklahoma for rodeoing. She's also a letter winner in basketball and way more than half cute.

Four-time world champion bareback bronc rider Marvin Garrett's "little girl" also graduated from high school today. Sheesh. I tease her that I'm old 'nuff to be her grandpa. Problem is that I'm right. Her dad and older brother Weston both are guitar pickers as well as good hands at anything needing done.

Hmmmm. Maybe KSG is watching rodeo... <chuckle>

m

[/quote']

Milod,

some of the last stories I did for the Santa Maria Times and The Adobe Press were high school rodeo stories, that and the county fair. We've got real cowboys and cowgirls here on the Central Coast of California. Some good ropers and riders. You might of heard of some of them. State champions too. Traveling to the Nationals is always hard when you have to go from California to the Dakotas or where ever they were.

What's up guys? I hope that y'all are doing well. I lurk sometimes, but lately I haven't been able to as the lounge is invisible unless you're logged in...that's new? I logged in earlier, but we had a storm and the power went out for a while.

<--- This cowbell will never wear out.

KSG... Hi!!!!

Yeah, Cali has had some good cowboy country.

A couple of the young kids out there were used in the John Wayne movie "The Cowboys" that had a story line leading to the major railhead of the day that just happened to be <chortle> guess where?

We've had several of 'em come out here to visit. May have one or more decide to retire here, given that they ain't quite "kids" any more. I still email one or two occasionally.

Ever run into a deputy sheriff named Al Barker out there? He and a cupla other kids from the rodeo circuit were recruited for "The Cowboys." I've met a couple.

m

A couple of the young kids out there were used in the John Wayne movie "The Cowboys" that had a story line leading to the major railhead of the day that just happened to be <chortle> guess where?

m.

That would be Bell Foosh, or properly spellt; Belle Fourche.

One of my favorite John Wayne movies.

tommy...

Yupper... They didn't make the movie here, though.

The time-setting of the movie is a bit cockeyed too but as the saying goes, "it's only a movie."

I've tried to figure what would be 400 miles as the crow flies for the ranch. Best I can figure it'd have been more likely they'd have gone to Miles City... Maybe 250-300 miles after 1892 or 3... But I don't recall any gold rushes then.

But it's a great story. <grin>

m

If memory serves me, and now-a-days it don't, there may have been a silver rush about that time frame.

Interesting bit of trivia. As common as cattle are world wide and as important as cattle has been through-out the history of man, there is non-gender specific term for a single animal culled out of a herd of cattle.

Cow - Female which has had at least one calf

Heifer - young female

Steer - emasculated male

Bull - adult male

Bull Calf - young male

Calf - young individual of either gender.

Cattle - a herd of the above animals of the genus Bos.

;)

Actually...

There are a lot of non gender-specific terms for a single bovine. I just can't write 'em here.

<chortle>

It's branding season, btw. One's likely to hear that sort of term quite a bit out in the country.

KSG - Yeah, a lot of commonality between Gillette and Belle. The closer you get to the South Dakota line, though, the greener stuff tends to get in spring... the Black Hills and Bear Lodge... then back to high plains...

m

Technically a maverick is not gender specific, but is a critter of any age that ain't been branded.

Usually in the open range days it would be a calf that had not been branded. They'd be rounded up and branded regardless of the brand on a mama cow.

That sorta thing helped bring on the Johnson County Cattle War in Wyoming.

m

Archived