Gibson Brands Forums

Where is my Muff Made?

bluesguitar65

I opened up my electro harmonix little big muff to put a battery in and saw a "MADE in CHINA" inside the metal casing. WTF??? I've always thought electro harmonix pedals were made in NYC, USA as what it was printed on the top of the pedal. So where was it made?

p5260168.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2010-05-26

p5260169.jpg

p5260170.jpg

Its probably Chinese parts assembled in America

I guess you are right. The casing is made in China. What is the definition of "Made"? I think "Made in NYC USA" is misleading. It should say "Assembled in NYC USA" since the parts are "made" overseas.

I bet it's just the case that's made in China. I order enclosures for pedals quite a bit from places like PPP and Small Bear. I'm looking at one right now, and it has "NSC MADE IN CHINA" stamped on the inside too.

It's just the metal chassis that is made in China. Some of the other electrical components are probably made overseas as well. It's nothing new though. -Even a lot of the tubes in a lot of our amps are made in either Russia or China. Check out this video if you get a chance. -I couldn't find any clips on YouTube besides the trailer. There's a part of the movie where they visit the Electro Harmonix factory and they talk a little about the history of the company and how they make pedals there.

I bet it's just the case that's made in China. I order enclosures for pedals quite a bit from places like PPP and Small Bear. I'm looking at one right now' date=' and it has "NSC MADE IN CHINA" stamped on the inside too. [/quote']

I'm getting interested in making my own pedals. Any sites in particular for a newb? I know how to solder, had a FAA approved certificate back many years ago when I use to work for the aerospace industry.

It's just the metal chassis that is made in China. Some of the other electrical components are probably made overseas as well. It's nothing new though. -Even a lot of the tubes in a lot of our amps are made in either Russia or China. Check out this video if you get a chance. -I couldn't find any clips on YouTube besides the trailer. There's a part of the movie where they visit the Electro Harmonix factory and they talk a little about the history of the company and how they make pedals there.

Hey thanks for that link!! Very interesting.

I'm getting interested in making my own pedals. Any sites in particular for a newb? I know how to solder' date=' had a FAA approved certificate back many years ago when I use to work for the aerospace industry.[/quote']

Building pedals is a TON of fun(plus it's pretty cheap)! For a first pedal build, I would recommend the "Build You Own Clone" website. They have kits with everything that's needed, and step-by-step instructions. A few good places for parts are www.pedalpartsplus.com , www.smallbearelec.com , and www.effectsconnection.com .

One thing I would recommend(if your looking to make several pedals) is to learn how to make a PC board. It can be tricky at first, but saves a few bucks. There's a lot of good information on building at www.geofex.com .

Archived