Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 true vintage

DBG

Simple answer: no

I believe that the J-45 TV was offered with either sitka spruce or red spruce in 2008, and perhaps sitka only before then. The model is currently configured with a red spruce top. I'm sure someone with more specifics will chime in soon enough.

All the best,

Guth

If you get a new J45 -TV, it will have a red spruce top. In the past, sitka was standard, though there were some special orders placed with Red Spruce.

Today, there is a lot of emphasis on having Red Spruce tops- no doubt. But all those great sounding vintage J45's? Made with Sitka.

Last night I was the only guitar in an old time jam- 4 banjos and three fiddles in a loud room in tavern. That old sitka topped J45 roared right over everything just as easy as you please.](*,)

I bought a 2007 True Vintage J-45 and I called Gibson and asked about the top. They told me that 2007 was the last year for the sitka top. But I have to agree with the comment by Hoss, this J-45 TV with the sitka top is really remarkable!

I called Gibson and asked about the top. They told me that 2007 was the last year for the sitka top.

Not to sound like a valley girl, but is this for sure for sure? I thought 2008 was sitka topped and there was a run of 167 red spruce J-45 TVs, along with some GC customs...? I've got my eye on a J-45 TV with a serial number that proves it's an '08 and I'm nearly certain it's sitka but fine if proven wrong...

I called them, I think on two different occasions and both times got the same reply that my guitar is a 2007 and Sitka. One time the fellow actually called Boseman and had someone out there confirm it for him. But you should go ahead and call and give them the serial number. You never know, you get a different person and they may seek out a different resource or spec record. It is worth the call.

Archived