Gibson Brands Forums

Cricket in the USA

albertjohn

This is not a guitar thread and doubtless should be in The Lounge where it would be royally chewed up and spat out!

I have just spent my lunchtime at work listening to Test Match Special on the radio/laptop.

It seems that cricket and baseball are very closely related. In fact, the rules of baseball were developed by an English cricketer and by contrast the first cricket World Champions were the USA! The advent of 20/20 cricket (where each side has only 20 overs to score their runs) has been compared to baseball. I'm more of a 5 day test match fan myself.

It seems that cricket was very widely played in the USA until some misunderstanding concerning tea and taxes and the eventual bust-up. Cricket then fell into the doldrums and baseball took over with a vengeance.

One of the guests over the luncheon interval at Lords was Don Lockerby CEO of USA Cricket. He gave a fascinating insight into the redevelopment of cricket in the USA. By way of illustration, there are 28 teams from public schools in New York city regularly playing cricket and several 000,000 people who play regularly across the country.

The expat community in the USA from UK, West Indies, Australia and other cricket playing countries seems to be the catalyst with this.

As a huge cricket fan, I think this is fantastic and wondered if any one from the other side of the pond have ever played/do play etc.

Archived