Gibson Brands Forums

Refinish Project

SGplayer1994

Well now that I'm out for the summer, I want to accomplish something that I can truly be proud of. I decided that I would like to refinish my Epiphone G-400. I bought a busted up Epi LP Custom to practice some techniques on, but I was wondering if any of you could possibly let me in on any tips or tricks on how you refinished yours. I'm thinking of trying a pelham blue type color. And of course, I'll post pics if I finish it.

It's been a thousand years since I've done a similar project. <grin>

But the main thing I remember is taking the opportunity to check out the electronics, etc.; cleaning everything out and even adding a bit of shielding where the pots went.

It may be a good time to consider pots, switches, pickups, etc.

Also then, are you happy with the setup?

Then it was a reeeeeally thin lacquer as I recall. Seriously, we're talking close to 40 years ago here. I do remember being conflicted on a bolt-on neck. Decided it wasn't enough of a problem to diddle with so I didn't - and it made no real diff on the refinish.

The neck... again, a good opportunity to get the frets and fretboard nicely prettied; the nut... etc. I'm assuming you're stripping everything off the guitar except maybe leaving the neck on? (I can't remember for sure, but it seems that's a bolt-on Epi SG neck?)

Anyway, I saw it more as an opportunity to redo the whole guitar.

The finish? I dunno but we didn't have the stuff available now. I'd do a lotta research now before I'd get going.

Oh - one other thing if you have a wild hare, you might consider some inlays...

m

I wish it was bolt on, it would make things a bit easier in my opinion. But as far as what you were saying, I do plan on fixing up the frets and such and I am planning on replacing the pickups, pots, and adding neater wiring and neater, stronger solder joints. The inlays would be cool, but I don't know how it would be possible since i cant buy a new neck or anything.

Yeah...

I had a buddy in college who was an incredible hand with inlays. Did several banjos. I remember watching him work and just stood there in awe.

But regardless, it's a shot at making the instrument cleaner in ways, and "like new" except more especially yours.

Best of luck on the project!

m

Well thanks, I'll probably need all the luck I can get milod, and DubT, I actually was planning on just doing a poly coat because that's what it is already and unfortunately I just don't have the experience to get into all the nitro work. Maybe someday, because ever since I've bought my SG standard, I've been a firm believer in nitro.

I've used aerosol before, to great effect. Stew-Mac sells nitro in standard Gibson colours, but Re-Ranch has the complete Fender line in spray cans. I can't say if they're nitro or not without looking, though. I'll probably use them for my next project, just because of the colour choices. For my Spirit, I used one can of black and three cans of clear gloss. You could do more gloss, and I'll probably do some more when I have free time and money.

Archived