Gibson Brands Forums

What type of Gibson Archtop is this?

gavcaz

Are the back and sides mahogany or maple? What about that top? It's unclear from the photos whether it is maple or spruce.

It apears that guitar had a finish that was removed. Could it have been all black or was it possibly sunburst?

If you're not sure, some additional photos would help us.

What does the top measure at its widest? That would would help, too.

The impressed serial number (or factory order number in this case, I think) might indicate a guitar from 1938-1941, but Gibson is famous for having many exceptions to its ever-changing serial and factory order number rules. They also made lots of dealer specials that vary in spec from regular production models. More photos and some mesurements might possibly help us narrow down the possibilities.

Red 333

At its widest it measures 14 3/4 " and that's the bottom. I really am not sure what type of wood it is.

It does look like some hardware was removed at some point. Perhaps a pick guard and bracket.

It only cost $5. I'm not sure the person knew what they had.

arch6.JPG

arch7.JPG

arch9.JPG

It could be an L-37. They came in f-hole and round hole versions, and some had pearl headstock inlays (as yours seems to from the photos). They came in black and sunburst finishes, with single bound floating pick guiards. The other specs seem about right, too: 14 3/4" bodies with unbound fret boards marked with dots, trap tailpieces, height-adjustable floating bridges, and three-on-a-strip tuners.

Is the back on yours flat or arched? L-37s have flat backs.

I think these sell currently in the $1200 to $1500 range. You really should have your guitar looked at it by a qualified appraiser, as there may be tell-tale signs that identify it that we can't see from the photos.

Nice score.

Red 333

Thanks for the information everyone. Would restoring this guitar enhance it's value any?

This guitar plays and sounds great so even if it's worth the $5 I paid for it I'm happy. I just figured I would get an idea of what I had.

If it were me, I would never sell that guitar. It would be worth far more to me than to anyone else. What Tommyk said was true about the finish. You probably wouldn't get more than a few hundred if that. You would probably spend more restoring it than you could get for it. If it were me I would do whatever I wanted with it (which would be nothing besides playing it!). So if you want it restored, go for it! But I wouldn't do it expecting to make money. Did you ever get a picture of the back and sides?

Archived