Gibson Brands Forums

School me on the LP Axcess

b3john

What can you guys tell me about the Les Paul Axcess?

Almost by accident today, I stumbled across an ebony Les Paul Axcess Standard with the stopbar (no trem). This is the one with the completely smooth contoured heel and ribcage contour on the back. Unbelievably light for a Les Paul. Chrome hardware (might be nickel?), the pups are either Burstbucker 1 and 2, or "super hot" (whatever that means) 496R and 498T. Fretboard looks like rosewood with the trapezoid inlays starting at the third fret, it has an incredible low action, fast, with zero fret buzz. Antique cream-colored binding on top, with no pickguard (or holes where the pickguard mount would normally be).

So what do I need to know about this axe (no pun intended)?

What tradeoffs were made to get this so light? The website says "weight relieved mahogany body with maple top", what do they mean by "weight relieved" and how does it compare to a "chambered" model? What effect will that have on tone (specifically cleans)?

What about the neck contour? Any concerns about the strength of that over the long term? This doesn't have the Floyd Rose, so I'm sure that helps matters.

The tuners say Custom Gibson or some such but look like every other mint green three-on-a-side Kluson keystone tuners out there. How much work would it be to update them to locking Grovers?

How do I tell which pups are in this? The online documentation seems to imply there are Burstbucker 1, 2 versions of this guitar and there are 496R, 498T versions. Did the stopbar version of this come with different pups than the Floyd Rose version?

This is a new guitar from a respected local Gibson dealer. So far my search for a new Gibby has been pretty much hit or miss, but this is just one of those guitars that speaks to you, in spite of the fact that I'd never heard of the Axcess before.

Thanks in advance!

John

Wow that's alot of stuff you want to know follow the link , it has most of info that you want.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Axcess-Standard.aspx

weight relieved is when Gibson drill I think it's 9 holes into the guitar, to remove weight. imo , chambering gives the guitar a different sound. if it's good or bad is a personal taste issue.you need to try any guitar before buying it. i'm not sure about the tuners so i won't comment. AS far as the stamped numbers on the guitar , post pics . this guitar comes from the custom shop so imo , it's a better made guitar. again with no pics no one can say how much of a problem, if any there is. I did try this guitar at the end of last year and found it to excellent. it's very comfortable to hold while playing and sounds great. I have considered buying this guitar more than once. it's 1 i'd like to have ,but i do have a few LP's now.

Also the 496 &498 pups have Gibson USA stamped on the underside, BB don't.

My Gear :-)

‘10 LP R0 50th Anniversary Version 3 1/500 (Cherry Burst)

‘09 LP R9 50th Anniversary (Heritage Dark Burst) 1/500, Bought 4-2010 new

‘10 PRS 25th Anniversary Santana Model ,10Top / Santana Yellow

‘09 LP R9 50th. Anniversary 1 of 59 (Rust Burst)

‘09 LP R0 Standard Ebony VOS

‘09 “Wildwood” CS - 356 Quilted maple & Korina

‘05 Les Paul Standard Faded T.B.

‘08 50th comm.edition, G.O.M. Flying V

‘08 July G.O.M. Longhorn Double Cut BV (Trans Blue)

‘08 Firebird VII (metallic red)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (black / rosewood neck)(Fat‘50’s pups)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (natural / maple neck)

1999 MIM Fender Stratocaster ’70’s reissue (white / maple neck)(‘69 pups)

1987 Japan Squier by Fender, Stratocaster (white / maple neck)

1986 Ovation Model # 1767-Legend

‘08 Marshall JVM 210H - 1960 AX Cabinet

‘10 Fender Blues Deluxe reissue

And some pedals

The LP Axcess Standard comes with a 496R in the neck poisition and a 498T in the bridge position. (The BurstBuckers have been mounted on another version of the Axcess wich is based on the LP Custom). It has push/pull switches on treble and rhythm tone control for series/parallel coil splitting.

Most Custom Shop guitars have inked on numbers.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

@jamman: What I'm after is what anyone knows about this guitar that's not in the brochure. [cool]

I've picked up various Les Pauls over the years but I don't ever remember playing one lighter than an SG, not until now. There is a lot unique about this guitar. Plays great, sounds good to me. I've read that some guys don't care for the chambered models, and really don't know what to expect from such a light guitar (changes in tone, feedback susceptibility, etc.) The reality is that I wouldn't be inclined to pay that kind of coin for a heavy LP, so at the end of the day it might not matter.

I will try to get some pics from my phone in the next day or so.

@BorisF: Thanks for the info on the pups. At least now I understand the discrepancy in the specs. And they are easy enough to switch out if I wound up not liking them.

Push/pull coil splits on the tone controls? Really? I didn't even notice! [thumbup]

John

Push/pull coil splits on the tone controls? Really? I didn't even notice! [biggrin]

Sadly, I found out this afternoon that it's only the treble tone control that has the push/pull coil splits (and it splits both the bridge and neck pickups, all or nothing).

John

• 1 month later...

Hi John,

I'm arriving a bit late to the party on this topic, so to speak, and perhaps you've already gotten all the answers you need. However, being an LP Axcess Standard owner, I'll chime in.

I picked up an Iced Tea Axcess (with Floyd...not the ST version) in late 2008. I already had (and still have) a Neal Schon Les Paul when I picked up the Axcess, which I know sounds like a "more of the same" purchase, but its really not. After replacing the stock bridge pup with a '57 Classic Plus, I absolutely LOVE the sound & feel of the Axcess! While the reduced weight may slightly alter the tone, the Axcess is still has a pure, raw growl with the swapped humbucker, and the floating trem works flawlessly. This is a nice contrast to the much smoother & warmer tone of the Burstbucke Pro in the NS.

It possesses a beautiful flame that's easy on the eyes, and once I swap out the tuners with Grovers, I'll be totally satisfied. I can honestly say that the Axcess holds its own against the NS, which I believe is the guitar it was primarily patterned after as a "stripped" version. You'll have a heckuva time prying EITHER guitar from my fingers...;)

• 1 month later...

Excellent John! I haven't had the opportunity to try the Axcess yet, but I think I'll love it when I do. If I'm not mistaken, the color is called gunmetal gray. I love it and the Iced Tea version too. I've wanted one since they first came out. Enjoy and play that guitar like there's no tomorrow. Didn't Alex Lifeson have something to do with the production of the LP Axcess?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i have a Custom axcess with burstbuckers and i like the way it sounds and plays--great guitar

Hi Wyoming,

Sweet looking LP! Are the Burstbuckers the "1s" and "2s"? Any idea why Gibson has never acknowledged the LP Custom Axcess on their website, other than a NAMM report?

Hi Wyoming,

Sweet looking LP! Are the Burstbuckers the "1s" and "2s"? Any idea why Gibson has never acknowledged the LP Custom Axcess on their website, other than a NAMM report?

not sure on the 1&2--seems gibson doesnt want people to know to much about the custom Axcess--i tried to find out how many they built and its impossible--i bet very few

The tuners say Custom Gibson or some such but look like every other mint green three-on-a-side Kluson keystone tuners out there. How much work would it be to update them to locking Grovers?

Hey John,

I had the Kluson tuners on my LP Axcess replaced with Grover kidney bean locking tuners, and they look and work excellently! I did not do the work myself, but the tech who did (and did a bang up job on it) said it was pretty easy. He simply removed the old tuners, drilled new mounting screw holes, puttied the old ones closed, and off he went, to the tune of $45.

B

Archived