Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339 Quality control...... It's arrived!!! Pics Added

Sproggie

Well my ES-339 arrived today.

Packed well and the box undamaged but all of the Gibson security seals broken to show it had been previously opened.

Out of the case (the lining of which was covered in sawdust).

I can't complain about the finish which is very good. The action is good although maybe a little high but that's how I like it. If the action is too low the adjacent strings click on my callouses during big bends. The neck pickup..... well. I've reversed the mount so that the pickup cover sits parallel to the strings. The cover would have fouled the strings before the pole pieces got close. I've adjusted the pickups and the intonation was out a little but it's starting to sound good. The only issue I've got is that there is little sustain on the G string 12th fret. Everywhere else it's OK. The bridge looks OK so I'll leave it and see what happens over time. The fretboard seems very dry so I'll get some Dr Ducks Axe Wax on it.

Playing. I've taken a bit of a gamble with this. I've always played 60's slim necks but I've got big hands so I thought I'd go for the fat neck. Straight away bends are so much easier. I think Gibson fit 10's? I always use Rotosound 10's on everything as they rarely break. I'm easily bending through one and a half steps. I'm looking forward to getting to know this lovely guitar over the next few days.

The only thing I don't like are the way the knobs are high on the control pot spindles so you can see the nuts behind. There's no need for that.

How do I insert pics???

Dam! I have never seen knobs that set that high before! It must be because of the flood that hit the Gibson factory a few weeks ago. Kinda like when you pull up your pant legs when wading through water, they must have had to raise the knobs higher when carrying the guitars through the water!

Is there a water mark on your guitar? [biggrin]

All kidding aside, Beautiful Guitar!

Kudos on a good buy! Interesting comment on the neck thickness. I'm glad that you found a good fit. I wish guitar makers could some how make neck blanks available so that we could do A-B tests. Oh well to that. HNGD to you!

nice looking guitar Congrats. If you can try any guitars where you are that's your a-b test. if not any friends with guitars you like ? even if you must travel , at the price of a Gibson , i think it would be worth it , to try some, that has the type of neck that you ae considering.

Archived