Gibson Brands Forums

Tips on setting up 1969 Gibson J-45 Adj

joeb

Alohas,

I just bought a nice 69 J-45. It is really in mint condition. The action is pretty high and I tried lowering the rosewood saddle, but it won't go much lower and I don't want to force the screws. It may not be centered perfectly. I plan to take it to my guitar guy here in Maui next week after it settles down. The neck looks pretty straight.

Here is the Q:

Any tips on setting up the action and working with the adjustable bridge/saddle on the J-45?

Does the saddle slide back and forth or do you have to disassemble to move it?

Mahalo

Any tips on setting up the action and working with the adjustable bridge/saddle on the J-45?

It's exactly the same as setting up any other guitar: (1) adjust the neck relief' date=' (2) get the nut slots right, (3) adjust the saddle height. (Or nut slots first, then neck relief, if you prefer.) The only real difference is that it's a [i']lot[/i] easier to adjust the saddle height on a J-45 Adj! Just turn the adjustment screws. (The saddle isn't intended to move in any direction other than up and down. Your repain guy should be able to tell if there's a problem.)

-- Bob R

Not sure if it works the same way for an adjustable bridge, but the best way I know to check and see if you may need a neck reset is to run a 2' ruler down the fretboard and see where the end lines up when it reaches the bridge. If the ruler is at or above the top of the bridge, the neck angle is OK but if the ruler hits the bridge below the top, you may need to look into a neck reset.

Don't be too alarmed.... I had the neck reset on my 1964 Gibson LG1 and the cost for the neck reset was only about $300. That is nothing when you realize how much nicer the guitar will play with a proper neck angle and action.

Also, check the break angle of the strings over the saddle. If you don't have a good break angle and you can't lower the saddle anymore, again, it is time for a neck reset.

Good luck, there are beautiful tones even now in that guitar I bet, just wait until you get it in great playing condition.... It will be a keeper!

Archived