Gibson Brands Forums

Farewell to one of the greatest rivalries in NCAA football.

jnastynebr

As of yesterday, Colorado is off to the Pac-10, and Nebraska will begin conference play in the Big 10 in 2012 [biggrin] I'm a little miffed. Nebraska-Oklahoma is one of the oldest and most heated rilvalries in all of college football, and I hate to see it die. Since Pelini took over 2 seasons ago, we damn near upset Texas in the conference title game, beat Oklahoma, tasted sweet revenge over Mizzou after a humiliating loss, dominated K, KState, and Colorado, and saw a great DT go #2 overall in the NFL draft. After a few rough years under Bill Callahan, we were back on track, representing the Big XII north in the last 2 conference champ games, and winning our last 2 bowls, complete with a shut out win over Arizona. Just when Nebraska is on the up, looking like the Huskers of old, we jump ship to a weaker conference.

Its hard to comprehend that after 5 national championships (3 in the 90s), 20+ Big VIII and Big XII titles, and 3 Heisman trophies, we will face all new competition in 2012, and have to forge new rivals. I will miss the roadtrips to Lawrence, KS and Columbia, MO. Great towns with sweet bars, and even cooler fans. Most of all, I will never forget the cool fall Saturday at Memorial Stadium in 2001, when #1 Oklahoma came to Lincoln to face the #2 ranked Cornhuskers led by Heisman Trophy winner Eric Crouch, and backed by the best fans in college football.

Archived