Gibson Brands Forums

HNAD Vox NT15 W/Pics now

Rewddawg1

I recently purchased a new Vox Night Train amp head and this little beast really rocks! I am running it thru my B-52 2 x 12 cab w/ Celestion V-30's. I have to admit that it was a hard choice between the Vox NT & the Orange Tiny Terror. Money was not the issue in my decision it was tone & versatility. I really thought both heads stood strong as for as hard rock and metal. In fact I give the edge to the TT. What made my decision more clear IMHO was the bright mode on the NT. For cleans, blues and hard rock like AC/DC the NT won. The bright chime and the 3 band EQ won out over the TT's single channel single tone knob. I just couldn't get into how the TT sounded when you tried to clean it up. It was a hard choice both heads really rock but IMHO the NT was more versatile. Both heads run either 15 or 7.5 W and both will still blow you away if the room is too small. Anyway if any of you have experience with these amps I would appreciate input. Thanks Rewd.

Nice score man. The TT is hard to clean up but it can be done. Its all about using the guitars controls.

Yeah I know it can be cleaned up like you said but it lacks the special brightness available in the NT IMO. Thanks for your response.

Thanks Tazz, Like what was stated before is the bright chimey tone while playing clean is just beautiful to play. It is a tone as some of you know that has to be tried out or heard to believe. Then you can add some gain & then you have a great blues tone. Crank the gain in the bright mode & you have a good AC/DC tone. Switch to the thick mode and then you can play from hard rock to some old heavy metal. I think the 15W mode sounds better than the 7.5W. The 7.5 sounds maybe a tad muffled (can't find the right adjective). I haven't done any gigging with musicians in quite awhile but I'm sure at 15W it will keep up with the drums. I mostly play in the 7W mode at home. In short I love the little beast and I am very happy I decided to go with the Vox NT.

Rewd.

I have a question maybe someone can answer. If I put Mullards in the preamp will it sound more like a Marshall in the thick mode? Also will I keep the bright chime that is characteristic of this amp head?

Thanks Jon, There are quite a few models by different makers. I would try as many as you can thru the same cab and I think you'll find one that fits your style. You can get that overdriven tube sound at much lower volumes and they are alot more portable than say a 2 x 12 combor a 50W head and cab. Anyhow I think that are great little amps. Keep on Rockin in the Free World!

Rewd.

Archived