Gibson Brands Forums

Lesson with Mance and Ernie

Rambler

Mance Lipscomb is tough to beat when it comes to rock steady Texas blues. Have been working my way through this DVD. Recommend it to anyone interested in working on two-finger picking, solo blues, or roots of rockabilly. Solid bass, (montonic and alternating), choice licks. Hawkins is a good teacher (his DVDs Rags and Bones & Mean Little Poodle have some nods to this style). Have fun. J

http://guitarvideos.com/video/000lipscomb.htm

Hey jkinnama,

Do you happen to have any recordings of your playing? It sounds like we certainly have similar tastes in the music that we enjoy, as well as in guitars. I'd love to hear you in action with some of your guitars. (For that matter, I'd like to hear zombywoof's playing as well if at all possible as well as a number of other folks around here.)

Thanks for passing along the info on the DVD. I hope that you'll be able to share your playing.

All the best,

Guth

When I was 19 years old (many moons ago) I met Mance, he was on tour with Big Mama Thornton, he hung out for a week at the music department at the Univ. I attended and gave free lessons and jammed with anyone who wanted, he was better than most give him credit for, the first time he whipped out his pocket knife I thought someone was in trouble, but that was what he played slide with. He spent much time with all of the students, so did Miss. Thornton, a bunch of white long haired blues geeks....but man we had a ball!

He played with Sam Porter Norman, a blind blues man around gin joints in Brenham Texas for years so you might start out looking for info on Norman too.

By the way, someone asked Mance how he got his name, his parents had been slaves, they named him Beau De Glen Lipscomb, Mance was short for emancipation.

Thanks for asking, Guth, but I dont at present. The only recording gear Ive at present is an 8-track tape machine. nothing digital, let alone video. I'd welcome tips going digital on a budget, if only to be able to put my money where my mouth is. J

I've grown quite envious of the experiences a number of folks have shared on this forum. Meeting (or even better, getting lessons from) the likes of Mance Lipscomb, Reverend Gary Davis, Paul Geremia, etc., etc.. Very impressive.

jkinnama, no worries about the recordings. Purely curiosity on my part as I'm sure I'd really enjoy the tunes you play. I'd also be interested in any other DVD lessons that you've had good luck with. The only video lesson that I've purchased is Roy Bookbinder's 2 DVD set on the Homespun label. (sadly, my copy is actually on VHS tapes) I've enjoyed it quite a bit. The last real live lessons that I took were from a local guy (Ben Bonham) that is a spectacular slide guitarist. It was quite challenging for me especially given the fact that the first couple of lessons were spent tearing apart my technique attempting to undo some habits that I had picked up that didn't translate really well to playing the steel guitar using picks on the thumb and fingers. I've been thinking about starting up with lessons once again, but haven't gotten around to it. Some new DVDs might help fill the void nicely.

All the best,

Guth

By the way, I don't have any tips regarding video recording, but for straightforward audio recording, the small flash-based digital field recorders offer pretty impressive sound quality, especially given the price. I've found it pretty straightforward to make a recording and dump it into my computer. I highly recommend checking them out.

Guth

By the way' date=' I don't have any tips regarding video recording, but for straightforward audio recording, the small flash-based digital field recorders offer pretty impressive sound quality, especially given the price. I've found it pretty straightforward to make a recording and dump it into my computer. I highly recommend checking them out.

Guth[/quote']

I have a Zoom H-4, I hear it's great....It's tuff having a analog mind in a digital world....everything has little bitty screens, and little bitty buttons. So, I have to put on my reading glasses the operate the device, then I can't see my guitar...

I have a Zoom H-4' date=' I hear it's great....It's tuff having a analog mind in a digital world....everything has little bitty screens, and little bitty buttons. So, I have to put on my reading glasses the operate the device, then I can't see my guitar...[/quote']

I can relate. The screen on the little Sony unit that I have can be a bit hard to read at times these days. The rest of the unit, from an ergonomic standpoint, works really well. Lots of actual easy to use buttons, knobs, etc. to control/adjust things as opposed to so many things requiring you to use some sort of menu system on the screen itself. Regardless, I'm not thrilled at the direction my eyesight is headed these days. Still, I love having the Sony recorder.

All the best,

Guth

Mance Lipscomb is tough to beat when it comes to rock steady Texas blues. Have been working my way through this DVD. Recommend it to anyone interested in working on two-finger picking' date=' solo blues, or roots of rockabilly. Solid bass, (montonic and alternating), choice licks. Hawkins is a good teacher (his DVDs Rags and Bones & Mean Little Poodle have some nods to this style). Have fun. J

http://guitarvideos.com/video/000lipscomb.htm[/quote']

I am working my way through the first volume. Love that 'Cherry Ball'. How about the audience in some of the Mance videos?

Pic

Another good book on the topic is Dale Miller's "Country Blues and Ragtime Guitar Styles". It is a book/cassette combo that was released by Kicking Mule publications in the 1990's. You can order it from Dale's web site, Google him. Dale played with Mance and Lighting Hopkins and while a student at the Univ. of Texas played at coffee houses around the school with a red headed gal named Janis, I think you may have heard of her....when he moved to SLC to attend classes at the Univ. of Utah he rented a room from Utah Phillips, he has performed with Stefan Grossman, Elizabeth Cotton, John Renbourn, Tom Rush, John Jackson, Tracy Nelson, Mimi Farina, Leon Redbone and Gatemouth Brown.

He now plays in small clubs around the SF bay area;

He has a very clean style;

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Archived