Gibson Brands Forums

problems with some gibsons finish ...

gibsonfndr

Hi guys.

I'm not sure about where to post this but I guess the moderators will do what's needed in case I'm wrong.

Here's my problem.

I have two "tv white" custom shop guitars which I'm very fond of and take great care of them.

For years I've been using the same kind of guitar stands. The kind that can handle any guitar from accoustic to firebirds.

These stands do have some parts covered with some kind of rubber supposed to protect the guitars from beeing damaged when in contact with the stand.

You can see them yellow rubber parts here :

guitare-2.jpg

one holds the neck the other two at the body bottom.

For years I used them until I tried to put my CS guitars on display, to notice that there was a chemical reaction of some sort between the guitar and the rubber that leads to the bright finish beeing "chipped" showing the bare paint. Do you guys see what I mean ?

This has (at least )two down points :

1- it ruins the finish (which you do not want on these prized guitars).

2- it makes the neck feel uncomfortable as it becomes uneven right where it touches the stand.

May I add this never happened with my other guitars, two of them beeing "regular" Gibsons, namely my '89 LP standard and my '91 LP junior.

So this is my question : is it a well known phenomena I happen to discover and is there something to do ?

Of course the second part of the question is easy to answer to ... change your stands.

Yet I wonder why it didn't happen with the other Les Pauls ?

Why only on these two ?

May I add I also used the stand with Fenders and Rickenbackers with no problem at all ...

This worries me as I'd love to know the reason why.

It may be time buy a new guitar stand as that one looks[dare I say] a little tired,get one from a good guitar shop who should know of the nitro problems and can give the correct advice and stand. As far as why ,I dont know but somebody will for sure.

It's a well-known reaction with nitrocellulose lacquer. I'm not sure why it didn't effect the older Gibsons and did effect the newer ones' date=' though. It didn't effect the Fenders or Rickenbackers because they don't use nitrocellulose.[/quote']Sounds like I (as we say in French) re-invented lukewarm water uh ?

rire4.gif

I had some other problems with the '89 standard finish but never assumed it came from the stands since the chips were not located where the rubber was and the '91 junior neck is immaculate eventho' it stayed on a stand for ages ...

A quick fix is to cover the rubber with cotton tube socks.... or a drape/towel of some sort:

To quite honest I tried something like that (albeit not quite as "big" as yours) but the wife doesn't seem to find it "good looking" enough for the stand to be in the living room

* sigh *

To quite honest I tried something like that (albeit not quite as "big" as yours) but the wife doesn't seem to find it "good looking" enough for the stand to be in the living room

* sigh *

Excellent! Then' date=' by all means, defer to her expertise in creating something more to her liking..... and have [i']her[/i] do it!

/chuckle

Archived