Gibson Brands Forums

Pick up choices for LP Special

waynereed

Unique situation . . .

2001 LP Special. I got it from a friend who owed me a pretty big chunk of change.

It's been chambered to make it lighter (factory, not after market).

Yep, it's light. Nice! BUT . . .

I just can't get inspired to play it! Been playing guitar since the mid 60's. Always preferred Gibbys.

Love my SG. Loved my many other LPs.

But I pick this one up, and . . . BLAW!

I'm pretty sure it has 2 P100's. It sounds OK. Chords sound fine. Not a lot of great tone for

anything jazzy or "pretty". Like playing Europa. Blaw!!!!

Distortion rhythms sound OK. I can "make it" crunch up, etc. But soloing with it . . .

B L A W ! ! ! ! !

It just doesn't "do it" ! Sustain is fair. But I suspect the chambering has KILLED the tone of this LP.

It just sounds dead! (It's set up fine.)

Any suggestions? (Other than . . . Sell it, stupid! LOL)

I play mostly Classic Rock/Blues and a lot of Santana. This LP is NOT suited for playing Santana leads!

:(

Any help would be appreciated. Like, will P90's help much? Is there a better choice?

Wayne wayne@thewaynereedconnection.com

You aren't a librarian intending to sell this guitar on ebay are you?

There are P-90s that fit into the regular pickup rings. I'd try the current humbuckers that come on stock Gibsons right now. If those don't work for you, try an EMG 81 (neck) EMG 85 (bridge) pickups. That should bring your LP alive.

This LP is NOT suited for playing Santana leads

You mean Peter Green leads?

The rule of thumb is garbage in, garbage out. If the guitar sounds that dead, no pickups

in the world are going to revive it. You have to face it, some guitars, even Gibsons are duds.

Dont spend good money on a lame horse.

Sell it, and start over.

Nada. I own the LP. I'd like to put some life into it.

YA know what I mean? When you pick up a guitar, it sorta

talks to you, and "guides" or inspires you to play. What I might

play, or solo on one guitar might be totally different when I pick

up a different guitar on the same tune.

I pick this up, and . . . . 'nuff said. :-({|= I've owned several LPs over the years.

I never experienced this before.

Also . . . Librarian?

i don't think there is such a thing as a chambered lp special... They are so darn light not chambered.. what would be the point...

As far as pickups, Gibson P-90s, Fralin P90s, or Bryan Gunsher P90s (2 month wait).... I had P100s one time in a hollowbody and they were great for jazz... But you are correct, they are very mellow... You can also easily do some magnet swapping on P90s until you find your favorite sound...

Just for info: P-100's are stacked humbuckers, in the design of P-90s. These are deeper than P-90s and will require routing for them to fit. Introduced in 1990.

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com

service.europe@gibson.com

Just for info: P-100's are stacked humbuckers' date=' in the design of P-90s. These are deeper than P-90s and will require routing for them to fit. Introduced in 1990.

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com

service.europe@gibson.com[/quote']

If you read the original post, he claims the lp special has p100s already... So, I assume no routing needed and these are the pickups he does not want in there anymore...

Since you work for Gibson .... Have you ever heard of a chambered lp special with p90 cavities ?

In 2001 Gibson sold the Les Paul Jr Special with P-100's and a solid mahogany body, no chambering. This flat top body construciton is lighter than the carved top Les Pauls with a maple top. And wood piece may vary considerably in weight, (depending on how much mineral was in the ground where the tree stood and other things).

If you like to send some pics (full front/back plus headsstock front/back) and the serial number to customer.relations@gibson.com we can ID the model and send the specs.

• 1 year later...

I got a JB Seymour Duncon in my bridge and disconnected my neck pick up... I love LP Jrs but since I have one already I thought it would good to have a veariety. My special is a 74, I believe it's the 55 reissue.

Archived