Gibson Brands Forums

1943 gison banner guitar

jaminjim

Hi I have A friend who has passed on and his wife wanted me to sell his guitar. It is a 43 banner ser#1002 I think it is a LG2 It has small body with X bracing. It is very srtaight with no wood cracks only finish cracks and checking. No rattles or buzzes and plays and sounds very good. The case is old but dont think it is original. I would buy it but I think it is worth more than I can afford.There have been more than one person try to steal it from her in the name of good business. All I want is for her to be treated fare. From what I can find It is worth around 3,000.00 more or less. Any help would be great thanks jim.

Hi Jim. I really hate to say this, because I'd love to buy it myself, but a good condition, all original LG-2 could probably get a bit more than 3K these days. A lot depends though on it's originality and condition. Has it had any repairs, is the bridge plate original or replaced, original tuners, pg, bridge, etc. If all original, with no cracks and no overspray, and not needing a neck reset, then up to $3500. Needing some work, then less. I paid $2300 for my 1946LG-2 2 years ago, but it has a side crack repair that's a bit ugly. The Banner's are worth more because of the banner. Hope that helps.

Oh yeah, please post some pictures if you can.

I'm a real fan of those Banner LGs. Can you post a pic, or 3, of the guitar?

As you can see on my Banner Gibson registry, my co-author and I have dated that factory order number of 1002 to 1945. Pics would help me date the guitar and, of course, I'd just like to see it. In addition, i'd like to list it on my registry.

Eric Schoenberg (www.om28.com) current has seven LG-2s -- if you count CF-100s as LG-2 cutaways -- including 2 1943s. Eric can get more than an "random" seller (enough more so that you can frequently do better selling through Eric on consignment than selling on ebay/craigslist/et al.) so something like 75% of his asking price might be fair. This would make $3,000 a bit high, unless the instrument is in really excellent condition.

-- Bob R

Archived