Gibson Brands Forums

Collector's choice #1 1959 Les Paul Standard

pippy

Has Peter Green just been erased from the history books Stateside?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Collectors-Choice-1-1959-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

LOL!

Ahh!...Perhaps Gibson didn't realise where Gary got his 'burst.

Or, just perhaps, did PG refuse to be associated with the project...?

The aged one especially looks to be a nice copy.

Has Peter Green just been erased from the history books Stateside?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Collectors-Choice-1-1959-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

LOL!

Ahh!...Perhaps Gibson didn't realise where Gary got his 'burst.

Or' date=' just perhaps, did PG refuse to be associated with the project...?

The aged one especially looks to be a nice copy.[/quote']

it might be because gary owned the guitar the longest so it's a gary moore and not a greeny?

nice though, if i had the cash i'd look into it [thumbup]

it might be because gary owned the guitar the longest so it's a gary moore and not a greeny?

Yes; I know. My tongue was firmly in my cheek.

I think we should we start calling it the "Meenie"!......[thumbup]

Have you read the blurb in the link' date=' though?

Not a single mention of PG; Fleetwood Mac; "Albatross"; "Black Magic Woman".........

I still [i']suspect[/i] PG may have vetoed the use of his name to endorse the product. He's not really into Corporate Kow-towing...

...nice though' date=' if i had the cash i'd look into it [cool']

I agree. As I said in my first post, the aged one looks to be particularly well done.

I have absolutely no problems with Gibson selling replicas of some of their most revered instruments to those who can afford the craftsmanship required.

...Something tells me he could use the money...

I occasionally wonder about that. I hope he doesn't.

With any luck he still gets all the royalties for his songwriting. A few of PG'sFM songs still get airplay; "Albatross" being the most obvious example. It is also included on thousands of 'Songs of the Sixties' and 'Best of the Blues' type albums. If he had a decent contract he should still get a reasonable income from that little lot.

Secondly there will be the royalties from "Black Magic Woman" that Santana recorded. In theory any album with that track must pay the writer of the song - i.e. Peter Green.

Seemingly one day, when he was in his 'Being Bonkers' phase, he turned up at the offices of his record company with a shotgun threatening to blow their heads off if they kept on sending him (royalty) money...

With any luck he still gets all the royalties for his songwriting. A few of PG'sFM songs still get airplay; "Albatross" being the most obvious example. It is also included on thousands of 'Songs of the Sixties' and 'Best of the Blues' type albums. If he had a decent contract he should still get a reasonable income from that little lot.

Secondly there will be the royalties from "Black Magic Woman" that Santana recorded. In theory any album with that track must pay the writer of the song - i.e. Peter Green.

Seemingly one day' date=' when he was in his 'Being Bonkers' phase, he turned up at the offices of his record company with a shotgun threatening to blow their heads off if they kept on sending him (royalty) money...[/quote']

Its a shame really. Such a gifted musician. Chalk up another one to the dangers of drugs.

I have seen him in interviews maybe a year old or so. He seems like a very gentle soul, but

you can tell that something is missing.

I do hope he brings in a decent amount of money. Im sure he has trusted people in the past

and they have burned him, but thats the life of an addict I suppose.

The likes of Peter Green is his day, will never be seen again.

Seemingly one day' date=' when he was in his 'Being Bonkers' phase, he turned up at the offices of his record company with a shotgun threatening to blow their heads off if they kept on sending him (royalty) money...[/quote']

i'm sure peter green still tours?

peter green and friends...

peter green gig

i'm sure peter green still tours?

He was very active with his "Splinter Group".

For his very first gig after he had got his stuff together it was meant to be a fairly low-key affair but through the grapevine things got to be 'known' and a good number of his old-time mates and contemporaries - including Eric Clapton - turned up back-stage to give him moral support.

He takes on a lot of the harmonica duties as well as guitar stuff. He played near my neck of the woods just recently but we were over in France at the time, which was a pity. I'd really like to go see him one of these days.

He was very active with his "Splinter Group".

For his very first gig after he had got his stuff together it was meant to be a fairly low-key affair but through the grapevine things got to be 'known' and a good number of his old-time mates and contemporaries - including Eric Clapton - turned up back-stage to give him moral support.

He takes on a lot of the harmonica duties as well as guitar stuff. He played near my neck of the woods just recently but we were over in France at the time' date=' which was a pity. I'd really like to go see him one of these days.[/quote']

i went to that gig, thats when i met bryan may at the bar [smile]

i went to that gig' date=' thats when i met bryan may at the bar [cool']

Did he recognise you?

J/K.

That's pretty cool.

Did you get a chance to speak with him or was he with a bunch of his mates?

I bumped into him (and spoke with him briefly) about 12 years ago in a cycle shop* when he was buying a bike for his young daughter. Nice, unassuming, friendly bloke (that day, anyhow!).

* (W.F. Holdsworth in Putney; they made my R/R and T.T. competition frame 34 years ago so I'll give them a plug!)

Did he recognise you?

J/K.

That's pretty cool.

Did you get a chance to speak with him or was he with a bunch of his mates?

I bumped into him (and spoke with him briefly) about 12 years ago in a cycle shop* when he was buying a bike for his young daughter. Nice' date=' unassuming, friendly bloke (that day, anyhow!).

* (W.F. Holdsworth in Putney; they made my R/R and T.T. competition frame 34 years ago so I'll give them a plug!)

i posted this in another thread about meeting famous people,

i went up to him at the bar and said " hello bryan i'm a big fan of yours" he said "hello" and we shook hands for what seemed like an hour but was just a few seconds and my mind went blank so couldn't think of anything to say [biggrin] i just looked up and said "see ya" he said "goodbye" and walk off back to my seat [sad]...maybe it wasn't him? lmao!!!!!, na it was deffo him and i had a few people coming up to me afterwards when they heard that i'd gone to "talk" to him...[cool], was a good night though [biggrin]

Archived