Gibson Brands Forums

Marinade Recipes For Said Summer Grilling

Artie Owl

So, I figured out mixing a bunch of things that might be good together in a bowl randomly didn't work so well for marinating a steak; it wasn't terrible, but I'm sure as hell not going to share it.

So, BBQ recipes or marinades, whatcha got?

salad dressings with vinegar work well, like Italian or balsamic vinaigrette. The acids in the vinegar tenderize the meat a little. Sounds crazy but pork chops marinated in Dr. Pepper overnight with some cajun spices is pretty damn good.

I tried a mixture of Guiness Stout, with Vinegar, garlic salt, cumin, and two types of bbq sauce. It wasn't to die for and actually we're lucky we didn't. I have a friend who loves Dr. Pepper though, he might love that recipe thanks!

It depends on the cut of meat.

Fresh herbs and spices makes a BIG difference. I buy all of mine here: Savory Spice Shop

Some steaks do not need a marinade - try a dry rub with something like: Salt, Pepper, Cummin, Ancho Chili pepper.

The above spice shop sells what is called Pikes Peak Butchers rub made of black pepper, sea salt, white pepper, red bell pepper, garlic, minced green onion and parsley. I rub this on steaks and burgers.

Also, I boil potatoes with the skin on for about 4 minutes. take them out, let them cool a little, cut into wedges, cover with some olive oil and add that Pikes Peak Butchers rub and then grill the wedges to make bbq home fries.

Other steaks that would normally be tough can benefit from a marinade. Tough cuts of meat are the cuts that are closer to the cows hoves and the belly area - muscles they use a lot.

It all depends on the cut of meat - what part of the cow are you eating?

Well' date=' I'm new to being behind the grill so I'm not as familliar. Lets see,

[img']http://www.jewishrecipes.org/recipes/meat/beef/beef-images/beef-cuts-L.gif[/img]

I think I cooked sirloin last time, but I can't remember that well.

So looking at this diagram (which gives good, but not the best representation) you can see why the tenderloin is the most tender cut of meat - it is the furthest between the horn and the hove. It is the least used muscle on the cow thus it is tender.

The serloin is a little closer to the hind quarter so it will be a little less tender than the tenderloin.

With a serloin, I would salt and pepper or another type of dry rub/spice mix. There is no need to marinade.

On the other hand, notice the flank steak. It is close to the hove thus it is going to be a little more tough - also the type of muscle make a difference too. The flank steak is what I use to make fajitas and those I would mix some spices rub on the meat add some olive oil and lime juice and let it marinade.

Archived