Gibson Brands Forums

Edinburgh

fretplay

I lived there for a year or so in the mid-1970s. Don't recall any great guitar shops but there was one heck of a fine fiddle store.

Not sure if it is still there but if it is - check out Sandy Bell's (The Forrest Hill pub). It was kinda the folk music hang out and on most any given night you could hear some amazing music being played in the back.

Check out GuitarGuitar in the Corstorphine area of Edinburgh - great shop for Gibson, Martin, etc and Esau parking. Nice guys too. That's where I picked up my J45 TV.

The Glasgow branch is even bigger.

The fiddle shop referred to was Scayles which still exists but has moved to St Patrick Square, near to the University in George Square. Also nice bunch of folk.

Sadly, Sandy Bells not what it once was.....

Pete

Haven't been to Edinburgh for ages sorry. But I did go there once and I have always been sorry that I did not buy a J-45 that I tried out in a shop. It was a stunner, and I've been trying to find one as good ever since!!

The fiddle shop referred to was Scayles which still exists but has moved to St Patrick Square' date=' near to the University in George Square. Also nice bunch of folk.

Sadly, Sandy Bells not what it once was.....

Pete

[/quote']

Thanks - I could not recall the name of the fiddle shop.

Too bad about Sandy Bells. That was a fun place to hang out - you never knew who was going to walk through the door and open up an instrument case.

Archived