Gibson Brands Forums

What are the technical differences between Burstbuckers and 57 Classics

dodgytoo

Guest BentonC

The 57 Classics and Burstbucker 1, 2, and 3 all use the same magnet type (Alnico II). The biggest difference between these pickups will come down to the winding. The 57 Classics have even turns on both coils of each pickup, which will lend itself to a "smoother" tone in general. The BB models have uneven coil windings, meaning one coil of the humbucker will recieve a few more turns that the other. This will give it what i refer to as a more "sparkly" tone. To my ears, the BB pickups will produce a bit more harmonic content.

There's some pretty good info here: http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/Burstbucker_trade%3B/

• 1 month later...

The 57 Classics and Burstbucker 1, 2, and 3 all use the same magnet type (Alnico II). The biggest difference between these pickups will come down to the winding. The 57 Classics have even turns on both coils of each pickup, which will lend itself to a "smoother" tone in general. The BB models have uneven coil windings, meaning one coil of the humbucker will recieve a few more turns that the other. This will give it what i refer to as a more "sparkly" tone. To my ears, the BB pickups will produce a bit more harmonic content.

There's some pretty good info here: http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/Burstbucker_trade%3B/

Arent the 57s wax potted too? the burstbuckers arent. or am I thinkin of the BB pros?

• 1 month later...

THE 57 CLASSIC and 490R and 498T are basically the closest pup to a STOCK PAF HUMBUCKER now known as a 57 classic

AS mentioned the LOWER the ALNICO MAGENT the warmer and more of a bell like quality ya get; IMHO all BURST BUCKERS are is OVERWOUND 57's including the 57 CLASSIC PLUS it;s an over would 57 for your neck for rhythm.

'

WHY would they do that....;VOLUME and some of there pus are meant to ENHANCE your MIDS AND HIGHS,.

IF ya look up pick ups at this site you'll find a list of pick ups telling you what they do and so on.

IMHO I have been playing for 45 years and 57 classic is the best STANDARD pickup.

I do not want the sound of a PICK UP, or a PEDAL or an AMP I want GOOD WOOD< GOOD STRINGS, and the way I manipulate the strings will give me good tone.

WORK FOR IT don't let the PUP define your tone !!!!

St James

• 2 weeks later...

Archived