Gibson Brands Forums

Who Shields?

Bluemoon

So for years my Les Paul suffered from an annoying hum/buzz. I spent hours trying to locate the problem--moving the amp to different locations in the house, use a power conditioner, and turn off all the lights in the house. I could never locate the problem. So about six months ago I had the guitar shielded. It is now as quiet as a mouse. I can crank the gain on my Blues Jr. and Tiny Terror and it still fairly quiet, other than a little tube hiss.

Just took my tele in for the same treatment. It too had an annoying hum. It obviously was picking up the same interference/RFI as my Les Paul. Can't wait to get her back.

The tech in Chicago that shields my guitars does a great job....he uses shielding paint and grounds all the cavities. A very clean looking result. He charges about $40. I would do it myself but I don't have time. He uses shielding paint because he has seen so many guitar short when a piece of shielding tape comes unstuck and touches the electronics.

Some don't shield their guitars because they believe that it affects the tone (by allegedly adding capacitance). I ain't buying it. The notes on my Les Paul now sings forever. The notes don't fade into the noise as fast

Disclosure: I do play mostly clean and at bedroom levels. I play mostly blues/jazz/rock. No shredding. No high gain stuff. For me a quiet guitar is a better sounding guitar. The hum/buzz drives me nuts.

Who else shields?

Archived