Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Covers/tailpieces

Mikey1988

Hi there guys!

I currently own a Gibson SG Special faded in Brown and I have seen that some owners of this guitar have installed pickup covers over the humbuckers. Where is the best place to get these covers from? I have looked online but im a little unsure which covers would be the correct fitment.

Also have any of you guys installed a tailpiece to your guitars? Is it worth fitting as I see that they have to be screwed into the body.

Many thanks,

Mikey

Yeah the gibson covers will fit, and any covers with the correct spacing should fit as well.. you will need to get one for the bridge and one for the neck, as the polepeice spacings differ by about 2mm across the whole pickup, so a neck cover wouldnt fit a bridge pup.

i got the gibson pure covers from my local Sam ash store. but they are different sizes between the lead and rythem pickup so make sure you get one of each. and ive never put on a tailpiece so i cant inform you on that but have contemplated putting in a maestro tremolo or a bigsby but havent pulled the trigger on that yet.

Guest BentonC

Check with a Gibson dealer: www.gibson.com/Dealers. They will definitely be able to hook you up with the right covers. Order one for bridge and one for neck as the other posters have already commented.

Regarding tailpiece installation, it depends entirely upon which style tailpiece you want to install. If it is not a direct replacement, you'll likely find it more difficult than you would want to attempt, as most will require modification to the body in order to accomodate.

Archived