Gibson Brands Forums

Best way to age (relic) new nickel parts?

Figaro

OK, let me see if I have this straight. You have tarnished nickel parts on your guitar, and you want to replace them with brand new nickel parts but have them tarnished to look just like the ones your taking off. ;)

Am I missing something here? :(

Guest BentonC

It is obviously a "proceed at your own risk" type of project- so now that that caveat is out of the way:

I've heard of a lot of people using etching solution. The same type of solution that is used to make circuit boards, and can be bought at electronic supply stores. I haven't tried it, but I've seen a lot of folks who have done it, and it seems to turn out pretty good.

I've also heard of people sanding with extremely fine grit paper, and then soaking in salt-water solution. From what I hear though, this is for pretty heavy relicing, to the point of rusting.

I'd be willing to bet that a quick search for either of these methods will bring up a bunch of DIY info for you...

It is obviously a "proceed at your own risk" type of project- so now that that caveat is out of the way:

I've heard of a lot of people using etching solution. The same type of solution that is used to make circuit boards' date=' and can be bought at electronic supply stores. I haven't tried it, but I've seen a lot of folks who have done it, and it seems to turn out pretty good.

I've also heard of people sanding with extremely fine grit paper, and then soaking in salt-water solution. From what I hear though, this is for pretty heavy relicing, to the point of rusting.

I'd be willing to bet that a quick search for either of these methods will bring up a bunch of DIY info for you...[/quote']

+1 I've tried both ways, and they work great. Another way i've seen is by using a rock/case tumbler. The tumbler is usually used for polishing, but if you add random stuff(nuts, bolts, etc) it ages the hardware nicely!!

I aged some nickel parts this weekend, and tried a different way(which works great). I used Muriatic Acid(normally for PH balance in pools). I took 2 tupperware containers-1 big and 1 small- and put about a 1/4 inch of the acid in the large container, and then put the hardware in the smaller one. I let it sit in the large container(with the top on) for bout 20 minutes and took it out. After that I let it sit in the open until it matched the other parts.

If you try it this way make sure to do it outside. The fumes are nasty!!

Archived