Gibson Brands Forums

Singer Songwriter Guitar

mjg

Does Mat Kearny play a Mahogany or Rosewood J-45? I would say that my voice is similar to his in tone. I still struggle with the tonewood issue and vocal accompanyment. Traditional thinking points to Rosewood, but being plugged into a PA 95% of the time, I am thinking that Mahogany my be the choice for warmth and tone control. Thoughts on that theory???

Also, is the pick-up the LR Baggs ribbon transducer or Fishman Matrix? I prefer the Baggs product as I have a PADI and they would complement one another. But frankly, I may just yank it in favor of a DTar Wavelength which has twice the headroom and a lot of warmth.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

not quite sure of the answer to the burning question of rw or mahogany, i emailed mat myself through his myspace. here is what he said...

studio, mahogany... i have a 1953 j50

live, rosewood... advanced jumbo, and mahogany... hummingbird

i just bought a some martin smaller bodies from the 30's, and a 000.

hope all is well.

mat

pretty cool. he got back to me the next day.

I don't have a wide sampling to compare against - I've not played much with the Hummingbird or the Dove (though I've spent a bit of time with some non-Gibson square shoulder dreads), nor the standard J-45 mahogany.

Generally I like my Super Jumbo (J-100 XTRA - maple) for playing in a jam setting, as my J-45 Rosewood does not cut through as well. On the other hand, when picking solo, I prefer the J-45 - its very comfortable and responsive, and I recommend it very highly. Both are great guitars, and I've found the niche for both of them.

Its been my experience that if you're playing plugged in with a piezo, body shape and size tends not to mean nearly as much, as the piezo masks a lot of what makes a guitar an individual acoustically.

very cool indeed for a rising star like mat to take the time to answer a question from a fan.

my friend with the larrivee lv-09e came over last night. the larrivee sounds so thin and snappy. my SWD was so obviously the nicer sounding guitar i actually apologized! well...my "apologies" kinda sorta don't sound much like i'm sorry sometimes. it actually came out more like 'sorry your overpriced guitar sounds so bad'.

very cool indeed for a rising star like mat to take the time to answer a question from a fan.

my friend with the larrivee lv-09e came over last night. the larrivee sounds so thin and snappy. my SWD was so obviously the nicer sounding guitar i actually apologized! well...my "apologies" kinda sorta don't sound much like i'm sorry sometimes. it actually came out more like 'sorry your overpriced guitar sounds so bad'.

Hmm, I Just ordered a J45, 3 days ago... And I do love gibson guitars!! but I think Larrivee's have their own voice that Gibson can't sing...

Maybe your friend had a 'lemon'.. All Larrivees I played have been fantastic...

I'd definitely take one right now if i had the money..

<snipped>

And I do love gibson guitars!! but I think Larrivee's have their own voice that Gibson can't sing...

<snipped>

Maybe kind of like women and Bourbons. One wants to romance you, be all subtle. Another just wants to get down and get it on. I can love both.

Maybe I need to go to sleep, or maybe I need another finger of Kentucky Rain and work on that next verse, which is so elusive.

Maybe kind of like women and Bourbons. One wants to romance you' date=' be all subtle. Another just wants to get down and get it on. I can love both.

Maybe I need to go to sleep, or maybe I need another finger of Kentucky Rain and work on that next verse, which is so elusive.

[/quote']

true enough, guys. though, i've always felt larrivee we're missing something. i feel the same way about taylors, too. is it wood density, mass, action? i don't know. maybe it is just taste. as for bourbon and women (insert lonely song here) - i quit drinking a year ago, by my choice. women seem to have quit me, by their choice. (insert weeping emoticon here).

Archived