Gibson Brands Forums

Reverse Flying V - Pickguard and Controls

pohatu771

I have a question for those who have a Reverse Flying V... I'm very interested in buying one, and have a few available to me, but I'm a bit concerned by the single knob.

How much space under the pickguard has been routed out? I'm considering, if I get one and can't handle the controls as-is, buying a second pickguard and installing two concentric pots so I can control volume and tone on both pickups, but if there's only room for one pot I'll have to reconsider.

• 8 months later...

I own one and all you need is volume the tone is awesome, use your amp for any changes, this is one awesome guitar, wonderful for sitting and playing those who knock it never played it!!!!!

This guy is 100% correct. There is no need for another control of any kind on these things. If you turn around.....yep, turn around, look on the front of your amp, there's all the knobs you could ever need. If you want more knobs, put some on the floor with an eq or something. If you are serious about getting one, get it and stick with it the way it is because it doesn't deserve to be messed with.

• 3 weeks later...

I hadn't intended to register on this forum today but I couldn't just sit back and watch your question fall on deaf ears. I got one of the first Guitar of the Month Reverse V's back in 2007 and have done pretty much exactly what you're thinking of doing.

rv.jpg

You can't really see it all that well in the picture, but I hijacked a dual roller pot assembly from one of my CIJ Fender Jaguars and managed to make it fit nice and snug. I wasn't a big fan of the single knob that came stock, it's in a terrible position and I found that my hand would knock into it if I strummed a certain way, and truth be told, I wanted control over my tone as well as volume. The only way to fit two pots onto the Reverse V in a place where they won't come into accidental contact with your hand is to mount them like this. There's plenty of room.

Just make sure to find a CIJ Jaguar/Jazzmaster mounting bracket and some mini pots, as I think the USA AVRI mounting bracket is a bit longer and might not fit too elegantly. I think I found some mini 300k pots and hooked the tone knob up to a .47 mallory capacitor, and for the folks who are fine without a tone knob, you really don't know what you're missing on this beast. ;)

So anyway, there's enough room to do what you want, but think about where you plan on positioning the stack pots first so that your strumming hand won't be constantly smacking into it.

Edit: Wow I just realized this thread is old as balls. :/

That must be a wild playing style you've got going there. I went in and tried to hit the knob on mine while playing and couldn't do it. I tried my hardest. I do appreciate the fact that you kept the guitar so you can swap it back when it comes time to sell it off. Big points there.

This guy is 100% correct. There is no need for another control of any kind on these things. If you turn around.....yep, turn around, look on the front of your amp, there's all the knobs you could ever need. If you want more knobs, put some on the floor with an eq or something. If you are serious about getting one, get it and stick with it the way it is because it doesn't deserve to be messed with.

Turn around. get your tone.

So, it really IS a guitar that inspires great ideas. Just flip it, man.

I hadn't intended to register on this forum today but I couldn't just sit back and watch your question fall on deaf ears. I got one of the first Guitar of the Month Reverse V's back in 2007 and have done pretty much exactly what you're thinking of doing.

rv.jpg

You can't really see it all that well in the picture, but I hijacked a dual roller pot assembly from one of my CIJ Fender Jaguars and managed to make it fit nice and snug. I wasn't a big fan of the single knob that came stock, it's in a terrible position and I found that my hand would knock into it if I strummed a certain way, and truth be told, I wanted control over my tone as well as volume. The only way to fit two pots onto the Reverse V in a place where they won't come into accidental contact with your hand is to mount them like this. There's plenty of room.

Just make sure to find a CIJ Jaguar/Jazzmaster mounting bracket and some mini pots, as I think the USA AVRI mounting bracket is a bit longer and might not fit too elegantly. I think I found some mini 300k pots and hooked the tone knob up to a .47 mallory capacitor, and for the folks who are fine without a tone knob, you really don't know what you're missing on this beast. ;)

So anyway, there's enough room to do what you want, but think about where you plan on positioning the stack pots first so that your strumming hand won't be constantly smacking into it.

Edit: Wow I just realized this thread is old as balls. :/

Genius. A reverse, inside out V.

• 1 month later...

It's actually pretty surprisingly comfortable. Because there's not much on the *** end, it feels like a very tight, compact guitar without the dangly bits of body hanging off the end you'd get with a regular flying v or explorer (which are fun, mind you, just takes a little adjustment).

The neck is a nice comfy shape. Overall I was surpised how well the design handled. You would think that the upper wing is going to be uncomfortable too but that's not the case when I've used it. I don't even really notice it there. The thing doesn't even slide off your leg.

Archived