Gibson Brands Forums

Advice Asked for Repairing Screw Holes

zombywoof

I am about to embark on bringing a mid-1950s Epi flattop back to some its former glory. The most aggregious thing done to it was some wingnut removed the original pickguard and screwed down a thick and ugly double pickguard (I recently posted a pic of the results of this criminal act in another thread). I thought I might attempt to plug the holes myself before I give in and bring the guitar to a repair guy.

These are pretty small holes but there are 10 of them. I figure if I go to a slightly oversized pickguard I can cover up some. Would it be better to enlarge the holes and plug them with a dowel or to use some of that wood filler stuff? I was thinking I would then use some of those finish pens.

Any advice would be appreciated.

epift-790042.jpg

Actually... the Halter Top pick guard was OEM. It completed the ensemble, albeit in an upside down fashion ... note the head stock graphic.

You want it back to it's former glory?... I hope you didn't toss the double pick guard.

And yup, the screws were OEM.

thats a tough one indeed, Im a finisher/ furniture repair man,, if I were to do it, I'd fill it with a wood filler of some sort, I typically use a "tootsie roll" type of epoxy, its a 2 part epoxy when mixed bonds very well with wood,, now coloring the filler to match the rest of the surrounding wood is the hard part and making it look natural, its NOT an easy job but an good finisher can do it and have it look pretty good,, probably not a cheap repair though because it'll be time consuming to make each hole match in color and there are alot of different variances in color on that top there,, good luck :)

Archived