Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson P-90 same on historics and standards? and vs boutique

HannaLindblom

Hello everybody!

Maybe this has been ansked a million times before..? Couldn't find anything bout it though.

Is there any difference between the Historic Collection Les Paul -58 P-90 pickups compared to the "American standard line" P-90? Or is it the same pickup?

What kind of magnets is it and what else info can I have about those pickups?

Does anyone have an opinon about Gibson p-90 compared to Lollars, Fralin or Duncan?

Thanks!

//Hanna

Does anyone have an opinon about Gibson p-90 compared to Lollars' date=' Fralin or Duncan?[/quote']

Hi Hanna,

I can only answer with respect to Standard P90s (as came on my SG Classic) and Lollars.

The stock pups were very disappointing, lacking 'bite and grunt'. This was made better by changing the stock 300k pots for 500k pots.

It was better, but not how I remembered some 70s P90s sounded on a mate's SG. I then got some Jason Lollar P90s, as my research tended to suggest that these were THE ONES that I was looking for.

I eventually fitted them into the scratchplate of my SG Classic (If anyone else is tempted, its an awful job. Get a shop to do it for you). Its a lot harder than changing a body mounted P90.

Thankfully there was a whole world of difference in sound. The Lollars really are the 'Holy Grail' of tone. Everyone who hears or plays that guitar describes it as 'God's own'! A slight exaggeration and a small blasphemy, but you get my point. Plus, the mixed position is hum cancelling, whereas the stock pups were not! How lame is that!

I hope you get to read my opnions before this post gets sanitised by the admins and I get banned! I really do think that Gibson should smarten up (or listen up) when it comes to their current 'standard' P90 fare. A really wonderful guitar was spoiled for a 'h'apporth of tar', as the old nautical expression goes.

Fortunately Gibson redeemed themselves in my book when I bought my R7. The Burstbuckers in it sound truly awesome!

I hope this helps. I too will be interested to find out what the Custom Shop uses in the Historics.

Welcome to the forums by the way!

Hello.

I recently (2005) bought an SG Classic, my first experience with P90s. I thought it sounded pretty sweet but was/am frustrated with the fact that it still hums in the center position, I expected it should be hum-cancelling with both pups on. I'm thinking it might be a worthwhile experiment to acquire a second pickguard and set it up with Lollar Mini-buckers to escape the hum factor. My first post here was a question/comment about minis, but it seems most players aren't too interested in their sonic qualities. Of course they wouldn't sound like P90s but I think the lower output would produce a pleasant, ringing tone with less mud or overdrive than typical buckers. Any thoughts on the subject?

• 6 months later...
Guest felixq78

I have an Historic '56 Goldtop and about 6 years ago I also had a 90's -56 Goldtop re-issue as well as another 2 Les Pauls (a Norlin Custom and a Deluxe with mini HBs)

There was a marked difference in the tone of the Historic, it was heaps better. Similar tone of course but the Les Paul Standard Goldtop sounded like it was being played under a bucket of water.

What I did like on the Standard was the neck. It was slimmer, much easier to play.

Nowadays I've got used to the neck and It's great. The baseball bat strength and thickness means it never goes out of tune at all

Archived