Gibson Brands Forums

Solid State Amp Compressing

Now, this problem puzzles me and all of the musicians I've consulted. When I crank my solid state amp up over about 4 with the gain halfway, my guitar will begin to distort. The more I crank it up, the more it breaks up. And it's not like there's a valve in it to simulate that sound.

It's an Orange Crush 30R. The only explanation I can up with is that the amp is meant to do this. The only problem with that explanation is that there's already an overdrive feature, (which I always keep off), so why would it distort when on a clean setting? [cool]

I'm thoroughly confused, as I was under the impression that solid states generally kept clean.

You are using a British style amp, with separate gain and volume knobs. The way to get a clean tone on that style amp is to turn the gain waaaaay down and turn the volume up; maybe even turning your volume knob on your guitar down also depending on how hot your pickups are.

British style amps are known for hi gain/distortion sounds; American style amps are known more for "clean" tones.

You are using a British style amp' date=' with separate gain and volume knobs. The way to get a clean tone on that style amp is to turn the gain waaaaay down and turn the volume up; maybe even turning your volume knob on your guitar down also depending on how hot your pickups are.

British style amps are known for hi gain/distortion sounds; American style amps are known more for "clean" tones.[/quote']

I know that, I'm saying even at low gain/volume it breaks up.

When I crank my solid state amp up over about 4 with the gain halfway' date='[/b'] my guitar will begin to distort. The more I crank it up, the more it breaks up. And it's not like there's a valve in it to simulate that sound.

I think that is the way it is supposed to be, you have the gain half way up. turn it down to like 1, does it still happen. if so you could try getting a hold of orange and asking them if that is normal. keep in mind that is a british style amp, i.e. hi- gain.

Maybe that's why they call it the Orange Crush.

I have an old little solid state amp with a single volume knob that breaks up nicely when cranked. It's mostly speaker distorion from the crappy 6 incher in there.

Edit: I just saw you had the gain up halfway. That's obviously why it's breaking up.

I think that is the way it is supposed to be' date=' you have the gain half way up. turn it down to like 1, does it still happen. if so you could try getting a hold of orange and asking them if that is normal. keep in mind that is a british style amp, i.e. hi- gain.[/quote']

I suppose so. I have it for about a year, and I don't play very loud very often, but it just seems to break up more than it used to, (gain or no gain)

I hate to sound ignorant or anything.

I just figured, british or american, that a solid state would stay clean unless you put a pedal in front of it. I always thought that a reason tube amps were much more desired than solid states was the fact that tube amps break up nicely, i.e. distortion occurs without pedals.

Oh well, sorry for the ignorance :-k

solid state would stay clean unless you put a pedal in front of it. I always thought that a reason tube amps were much more desired than solid states was the fact that tube amps break up nicely' date=' i.e. distortion occurs without pedals.

Oh well, sorry for the ignorance [blush

No problem, keep in mind most distortion/overdrive pedals are solid state (no tubes). Transistors avalanche and distort like tubes do, just in a different way electronically. A lot of the "distortion" you a probably hearing is speaker distortion.

It is a very common misconception that transistors don't distort.

PS. If you are still in school start taking electronics classes, and they will teach transistors, and if you have a good teacher they will teach tubes too.

No problem' date=' keep in mind most distortion/overdrive pedals are solid state (no tubes). Transistors avalanche and distort like tubes do, just in a different way electronically. A lot of the "distortion" you a probably hearing is speaker distortion.

It is a very common misconception that transistors don't distort.

PS. If you are still in school start taking electronics classes, and they will teach transistors, and if you have a good teacher they will teach tubes too.

[/quote']

yeah, I know, I just meant that people used them to simulate tube break-up.

And it would be nice if my school had classes like that. Alas, it does not.

Archived