Gibson Brands Forums

What's the best capo on a Les Paul?

DeVeeWee

I like the Kyser KG6B because it's grip covers the entire neck width (unlike the Shubb capo). But I've only used it on my acoustics, ... never before on my LP!

So, I'm a bit reluctant to use it immediately on my LP (anxious about the capo tension on the neck you know!)

Any thoughts, recommendations...

Don't use a capo... Transpose the song... [crying]

That works fine for general chords (G, Dm, F#maj7, etc), but for riffs with a lot of open strings or to maintain the voicing of certain chords, a capo is indispensable.

I use the Kyser KG6B too on all of my guitars, both electric and acoustic. What is this capo tension you mentioned?

What is this capo tension you mentioned?

evol' date=' maybe it's a myth, but I've read a couple of reviews saying that some capos grip are so tense they could actually damage the neck of the guitar.(not the fretboard but the neck). When I compare my Kyser with the Shubb, I notice a lot more grip with the former.[cool

Nevertheless, you, and dokosan, haven't got any bad experience whatsoever, that's ensuring me a lot!

I have a cheapo Dunlap one it works great with all the guitars' date=' I used to use one that was like a fat rubber band with metal eyes and it was great until you took it off. If you were not paying attention the metal end would slap the guitar somehow and could cause a nick in the paint. So for obvious reasons that one is no longer used.

On a side note the Variax can be programed like a capo in this picture its a example of Drop D tuning and you play it normally. If the need was a capo on the 3rd fret you would take those little red dots and move them to the third fret above the 12th. Since it has 5 different banks to use and 5 slots within the banks loads of possibilities with this guitar. It makes it realy easy to program it and do a gig that way if you do some material that require different open tunings or capo's flip a switch and your there. Very similar to the Gibson Robot and Darkfire except unlike the Gibson products this guitar can either tune up or down a entire octave from 440. I have one patch where the Variax is a bass guitar and while the lower strings sound very realistic the higher B and E strings sound like Crap-Ola.

The software also allows you to slide pickups on the body to add more bass or treble and has a huge range of pups to choose from. One of my favs is not published but its a acoustic bass guitar. The guitar is a really nice instrument although some patches from the factory sound like crap. You can tweak the output level; freq, although all this is done via a PC and can not be done at a show unless a PC is part of your normal gear. Love playing "Running down a dream" I flip from electric to acoustic guitar inside the tune just like the song by just flipping the 5 way.

[img']http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/brand,zzounds/VariaxWorkBenchScreenshot-e790929488599323c403ae3f53218663.jpg[/img]

Interesting info Jocko, especially love the "Running down a dream" part! Thx!

Archived