Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on buying a new guitar

pessoaca

Not to say what you suggest is wrong but I don't agree with that. I started playing guitar when I was 11 and started on the cheapest of cheap guitars, a Nova. For those who don't it's basically a Wal-Mart brand guitar. Now, 5 years later, the fret markers are falling off (they were stickers), the tuning machines are stripped (they were open) and it doesn't stay it tune, and the guitar sounds flat and terrible. Even with the terrible quality that guitar brought I do not regret starting with that for several reasons: I learned the hard way which made me appreciate finer instruments, when I moved up I played and sounded better, and if I had no interest I wouldn't have lost anyone much money. If you really love playing I don't think that much will stop you from learning. After a year I moved up to a Hagstrom and then after another year into my original interest electric guitar. I got an Epi SG and love the guitar. Just a month ago I upgraded yet again to a Gibson SG Standard. Everything I've learned up to this point was because of the Nova and how it taught me playing guitar isn't easy but it sure is fun. I think it contributed to my ability to play because of how poorly it sounded. Either way I love playing guitar. I'm not saying your way is wrong but that I simply have a different take on it.

I have always recommended beginners start on 'lesser' instruments. I know so many moms and dads who want to go out and buy their little protege an expensive guitar. All too often it ends up in a closet collecting dust. My first guitar was some kind of Yamaha or other - less than 150 bucks in or about 1985. It was extremely difficult to play, especially from the 5th fret up. Scales were a friggin nightmare. But just as you said, when Grandpa finally let me play his '57 ES 125 I was able to appreciate it.

Now, I'm not necessarily gonna recommend a Wal-Mart special, but I'm with you in spirit! B)

• 6 months later...

If you have $2600 to spend, I agree with the folks that say spend it. The nicer guitar will make you want to play it more, it will sound better, and will be easier to play especially barre chords. I would also reccomend a small body guitar that is easy to hold and you can sit with on the couch so you can practice chord changes during TV commercials, etc. Look in the Gibson small body section on the acoustic guitar pages. The Robert Johnson and Blues King are both excellent. Don't forget though that you can do quite well with a used one. Many of us have many guitars and buy and sell them after a few months so that we can always be trying something new. Look on the forums for a used Blues King and you'll have $1000 left for lessons. Good Luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived