Gibson Brands Forums

Good amp for articulate chords

EADGBE

Playing with the band I've found that it's a lot easier to find good rhythm guitar sounds from my Tele than the SG. I've been using my Vox AC15cc1 that I really like, but since I need another amp anyhow, I'd appreciate advice for choosing a one that sounds articulate an SG as classic rock rhythm guitar (think CCR etc.). I'm still biased towards Vox, maybe AC30CC1/AC30C2, but you can broaden my perspective?

If you are going to play rhythm guitar mostly and you want that tight jangle of a CCR record I highly recommend something with 10" speakers. Clearest amps are pt. to pt. wired. I would rule out any newer Fender except a used, made in USA hot rod DeVille 4x10. They are also *loud*. Second would be to snag a Silvertone 1484 or 1485 head and run it through a 4x10. The 1485 originally came with a stereo 6x10 cab, but finding a head with the matched cab is Big Foot sighting rare.

SGs are my favorite guitar and sometimes for sparkly cleans you have to go with a brighter amp/cab.

• 1 month later...

Bit late to say thanks for the tips, but thanks anyhow.

I played various amps with my Gibson SG Faded with Jazz/JB pickups:

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe felt unpleasant and unforgiving with cleans and had harsh distortion for my ears

VOX AC30 c1 had a lot of character

The new VOX AC30 c2 could have been mine too but not quite articulate like I had hoped

The new VOX AC15 c1 was seriously considered too, a bargain

VOX AC4TV had a fun sound but just that one sound

Koch Twintone was awesome, but pricey and too many options to learn in an hour

Hughes&Kettner Statesman EL84 20 W was a suprise, super versatile and gave some desired brightness to an SG. Sounded great!

But I realized I'd be better of need something smaller I can carry to sessions in different places. So I tried a

Laney VC15-110.

The search was over right away! Bright yet not harsh, articulate even when distorted. Good, easy to play cleans, enough distortion to make my pedals collect dust most of the time, ok reverb, what else? It makes my SG so much more versatile for rhythm/leads, vintage/bit modern, dark/bright whatever. AMAZING WHEN CRANKED! And while it's not quiet, might actually be able to crank it more often. It's 14 kg so I can carry it easily with one hand. And it was dirt cheap.

And I got a Limited Old English White model, so cute it's hard to imagine the meanest sounds it can deliver.

Highly recommended for an SG!

Playing with the band I've found that it's a lot easier to find good rhythm guitar sounds from my Tele than the SG. I've been using my Vox AC15cc1 that I really like, but since I need another amp anyhow, I'd appreciate advice for choosing a one that sounds articulate an SG as classic rock rhythm guitar (think CCR etc.). I'm still biased towards Vox, maybe AC30CC1/AC30C2, but you can broaden my perspective?

Laney make some good amps...echoes of the Vox EL84 sound with their own character. I have a VC30 2x12 which I like a lot

Archived