Gibson Brands Forums

Calling KSDaddy and other guys skilled at repairs!!!

Taylor Player

A customer's '69 D-35 is going on the bench tonight. Come on over and bring your drill, blowtorch and spackling paste.

I opened the case and got a good whiff of 20 years of oxygen deprivation. Mmmmmmm, it was like walking into Momma's kitchen on Thanksgiving.

I'd recommend a new saddle. "Saddle Grooves" aren't usually that deep. .... non-existent is more like it. You may have to sand down the bottom of the saddle to bring it down. The previous owner probably grooved the saddle to bring the action down.

I'd recommend a new saddle. "Saddle Grooves" aren't usually that deep. .... non-existent is more like it. You may have to sand down the bottom of the saddle to bring it down. The previous owner probably grooved the saddle to bring the action down.

I am sure that is what happend, but if I were to throw a new saddle in there (I have a couple that could be sanded to fit) it would significantly raise the action. Right now, there is no buzz, playable action at the 12th fret and I also think the existing saddle is glued into the bridge because I tried to pull it out and it wouldn't budge.

The plan I have come up with is to keep it playing like this for awhile. Once my wife get's back to work during the school year (she is a PARA professional with special needs kids at the local Jr. High School) and we have our regular income coming in, I want to take it to my local "Vintage" repair guy and have him do a proper pinned bridge and new saddle along with the required neck reset. Even though this is a beater guitar to me, the solid wood, fine craftmanship and overall tone of this guitar makes any and all that well worth it in my opinion.

Archived