Gibson Brands Forums

Problem playing F!!!

Robes

I'm on my 2nd SG and I have a problem when playing the pitch of F on my G string. When ever I play the note the fundamental harmonic drops out after about 1 or 2 seconds and a harmonic an octave above the note suddenly cuts in instead. It doesn't matter if I change my tuning, it still only does it on the pitch of F (ie whether I play an F on the 10th fret or 12th fret it makes no difference).

Right, so here is the thing, I took one guitar back already for having this exact problem and now it's happening on a completely new guitar. Doesn't matter what amp I play it through (tried literally 5 or 6) and it doesn't matter what room I play in. I can even here it doing it unamplified so it's not even the pickups!

I just want to know if this is a common SG problem?

Cheers!

How do you guys "rock" with a wound G string.....I think this is a common SG problem. Its why I hated my '61 after awhile. My headstock weighting solution was to put Grovers on it, and that did exactly what happened to the guy on the SG forum. The dead spot moved up in pitch a half step or so. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think you have to play a handful of SGs to find a good sounding one. I sold my '61 to my brother-in-law. He only plays rythm guitar and thats exactly what that SG was good for.

I find it really odd you would have this same problem with two different guitars... My second suspect would be the bridge or the intonation. If the bridge is in good shape maybe see if you can find another setting that intonates correctly. Sometimes you can get more adjustment range if you rotate the bridge. I'll assume you're intonating correctly, but I know people who have been doing it wrong for years. I think there are threads on this forum on how to do it. Some good threads on the LPF, too.

I find it really odd you would have this same problem with two different guitars... My second suspect would be the bridge or the intonation. If the bridge is in good shape maybe see if you can find another setting that intonates correctly. Sometimes you can get more adjustment range if you rotate the bridge. I'll assume you're intonating correctly' date=' but I know people who have been doing it wrong for years. I think there are threads on this forum on how to do it. Some good threads on the LPF, too.

[/quote'] I tried a few different things with my re-issue, and generally made myself crazy, nothing resolved the fact that it had "dead spots". Fender basses sometimes suffer from this phenomenon. In my opinion, SGs that some heft to them, do not have this problem.

I'm the guy from EverythingSG with the same problem as you. I'm glad I'm not alone, I guess.

Anyway, I don't think this problem is fixable by adjusting anything, if you have the same problem as I do, it's because your guitar resonates at the frequency of F and it cancels the string vibration. Changing the mass of the guitar removes the problem. Whether it be adding heavier tuners or a Groove Tubes Fat Finger, or any other method of changing the mass of the guitar, that'll fix (move) the dead spot.

I'm currently just dealing with it, it seems to be getting better than it was. I'll wager it'll just work itself out as the guitar ages.

I'm the guy from EverythingSG with the same problem as you. I'm glad I'm not alone' date=' I guess.

Anyway, I don't think this problem is fixable by adjusting anything, if you have the same problem as I do, it's because your guitar resonates at the frequency of F and it cancels the string vibration. Changing the mass of the guitar removes the problem. Whether it be adding heavier tuners or a Groove Tubes Fat Finger, or any other method of changing the mass of the guitar, that'll fix (move) the dead spot.

I'm currently just dealing with it, it seems to be getting better than it was. I'll wager it'll just work itself out as the guitar ages.[/quote']Good on ya, hope it works out. I ran out of patience with the one I had. Probably not the guitar I needed anyway. Kind of an impulse purchase influenced by too much Badfinger at the time.

Archived