Gibson Brands Forums

What A Difference!!!

gothsloth

Hi all, I recently wrote about having a problem with my frets and received some very good advice from some of you ... take my guitar to a technician, so I did. What a huge difference it has made. My fiance bought me this guitar from ebay so I don't know what it was like new, but I reckon it's better than new.

The neck had a slight back bend in it and some of the frets were higher than the others. The tech straightened the neck, levelled the frets, dressed and set the guitar. It is now an awesome axe to play. Thanx guys [-o<

Glad you got that worked out,Gothsloth. Bet she's a real fine player now!!I didn't really consider a backbow since you said you only had one or two deadspots on one string.Still, a level/dress setup will really make a huge difference IMHO.

I couldn't find other dead spots, but the tech pointed out to me what was a slight backbend in the neck. And yeah dane, she's a real fine player. It is unbelievable the difference it makes, I just don't wanna put her down now .... and thanx for your advice on the prob. much appreciated.

Goth, I did my Epi myself and it made a huge difference in playability. Once the frets are dressed and leveled, you can achieve a comfortable string height without buzz and a feel that you seldom get with an off the rack guitar. Glad you found someone who did a good job for you.

I stoned my entire set of frets down level on my Dot ,then polished them up with a file and then wire wool .The action is as good as my Strat and Tele now ,both of which had a very low action on light strings ,9's and 10's .The Dot plays superbly and far better than any shop guitar I have ever tried of any make ,cheap or uber expensive.It really does make a huge difference.

I used to work with a guy I called "3-toe" because he was slower than a sloth. I swear, at some point during the day you would realize he was about a foot away from where he last was - but you never saw him move...

I can only dream of being that quick. =D>

Archived