Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone sg elite

r1.yzf

Hiya there!

Ive just bought one of these great guitars but im wondering just how good the electrics are on these? I know they have american made electics but would it be worth upgrading to gibson pickups and controls. Ive already been given a quote but just curious to what people think. #-o

Thanks

the pickups are exact copies of the 490r/498t gibson pickups, I've never had trouble with the switch like regular epiphones, and when playing my Elitist LP side by side to a gibson they are tonally indistinguishable

if you want a different sound you might look at a more vintage style pickup...otherwise you're wasting your money

with the right amp settings on my marshall and height adjustment of pickup, I can come insanely close to the sound Angus Young has on the AC/DC Live at Donington DVD I play along with

you can even get a more vintage type sound from them by rolling the volume off halfway

Pickups are kinda like wine. Not everyone likes the same thing.

But I agree totally with thunderstruck. The pickups and switch on my LP Elitist are first rate.

They don't have an exact vintage PAF tone but the volume and tone controls actually work well on the Elitist so I can roll off a bit of tone and a bit of volume and get a very nice vintage crunch or roll everything up to ten and get Slash tone all day long. I absolutely love the neck pickup in my LP.

Unless you just want a totally different sound I would leave them awhile and get to know them.

Those pickups might become your best friends.

IF you still need something else I like EMG's for hard rock and Duncans for nice character.

Thanks to all your replies i appreciate them. Must admit the guitar plays great and is worlds apart from my epi lp. The finish is top notch and the sound is fantastic. I play alot of ac/dc just wondering what settings you use to get the sound. I have a marshall avt 150 amp and my pickups are about half way between the body and strings.

I used to have an original valvestate 30 watt, and a friend I jame with still uses a 75x2 valvestate.

The AVTs like you have are worlds better but still have a harsher tone than true tubes to my ears. So its going to be kinda hard for me to advise what will get YOU the sound.

My setup:

Elite SG, stock

into Boss Compressor/sustainer, all knobs at aprox. 1 o'clock

Marshall DSL401 with celestion vintage 30 12": on the OD1 channel, gain at 6, treble at 6, mid at 4, bass at 5, reverb at 3

The best way to start finding the sound you want from your rig is going to be go VERY easy on the gain since to me those amps add more of a distortion sound than a gain sound (to my ears anyway), then set all the other settings straight up at 5 and tweak them a little from there. That's how Angus says he does it and once I tried I found the settings I use now and its pretty darn close. But its not "Angus' sound" though...its my sound, I just wanted something very similar to the tone he was using on that Live DVD and I tweaked from there to my tastes.

Archived