Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone s-310 or Strat

kemoore73

Can any one tell me about this guitar. I have seen a few types all defferent. Three head stock shapes ( round at tip, pointed at tip and the old coronet style). Two pickup configs, (hss and sss). and two switch configs (5 way and three single switchs). I had one of thies guitars and would like to get another. Were they different years, or just veryations of the same model. Thanks for your help.

• 3 months later...

There have been a number of these models over the years, with various product names, in varying configurations (SSS or HSS) and the headstocks were typically a sharp 'Jackson' type, 'Explorer' type and finally the Epiphone 'batwing' style.

The final models offered (in the 1999 catalog) were the plywood-bodied Fat-210 and Fat-310; the 310 had diecast tuners and a two-point fulcrum vibrato; both were HSS.

• 7 months later...

I have, I believe a Japanese Epi S310. I say believe, because I can't find verification of the serial number which is 880511125. All I am sure of is that it has a bright yellow plywood body and has 310 stenciled on the body where the neck mounts. The head stock also says "Epiphone by Gibson"on it. I have had it since new and am now rebuilding it as most of the old hardware needs to be replaced and the finish is bad. I have always wanted a flat black guitar with a Coloriffic yellow and red flame cut pickguard (boy was that hard to find). I am also converting it from a SSS to a HSS for better sound. If anyone out there needs origional pickups or hardware, (ie.. tuners, etc.) for there S310, I am replacing mine so they are available. Contact me at vclevenger@hotmail.com.

I have' date=' I believe a Japanese Epi S310. I say believe, because I can't find verification of the serial number which is 880511125. All I am sure of is that it has a bright yellow plywood body and has 310 stenciled on the body where the neck mounts. The head stock also says "Epiphone by Gibson"on it. I have had it since new and am now rebuilding it as most of the old hardware needs to be replaced and the finish is bad. I have always wanted a flat black guitar with a Coloriffic yellow and red flame cut pickguard (boy was that hard to find). I am also converting it from a SSS to a HSS for better sound. If anyone out there needs origional pickups or hardware, (ie.. tuners, etc.) for there S310, I am replacing mine so they are available. Contact me at vclevenger@hotmail.com.[/quote']

It's not Japanese with that serial number format.and "Epiphone By Gibson" headstock logo..and I don't think Epiphone even ever made their Strats and Telecasters in Japan..it does date to May of 1988 and was made in Korea by Samick..I'm not sure the spare parts are going to be a hot commodity but you can try...

Mr.Nelson

Thank you for the input. What really threw me off was in most threads I was reading that the Koren Empi S-310s had a K before the number and mine doesn't. Also most of the Koren ones I've found have batwing headstocks.

It really depends on where and when it was made. All of my 90's Korean Epis have an "S" for Samick at the beginning. But my 1986 S-500 has no letters at all, but was still made in Korea. And again, with the headstocks, it all depends on when it was made. 80's Epi strats tend to have either the Banana or Pointy type headstock. I think the batwing was in the 90's for that model.

Archived