Gibson Brands Forums

AJ500M masterbuilt question

mark49

Only the fingerstyle models and the AJ500RC (the chubby 12 fret model) have the V-neck. The AJ500m and R have a sort of modern U profile. It's a bit rounder than the low oval that Martin uses on most of their models nowadays, but about the same size.

I actually prefer it to the Martin,come to think of it.

-piggy

For what its worth, here's my experience with the V neck shape...

When I recently purchased my AJ500RC it was the 1st time...in almost 30 years of playing...that I've had a guitar with the V neck shape. When I was putting it through its paces in the guitar shop it seemed to feel a bit *different* for about 5 minutes, but after that the difference just seemed to vanish and its never been an issue since then.

Now, I can go back and forth between my normal necked Blueridge and my AJ500 and I dont even notice the difference any more. Its become a complete non-issue.

CTF

Thank you for the replys .I`m torn between the AJ500M and the DR500P Im leaning toward the DR500P because of the maple sides and back.I have a Mahogany Blueridge and a Rosewood Blueridge so the Maple would be nice.

I haven't played a DR500P (I have an M in my collection, though), but my girlfriend has an AJ500M that I gave her for Christmas a couple of years ago. I've got to say, it's a terrific sounding and playing guitar. I'm always amazed when I play it. I have guitars that are many times more expensive but don't sound that much or even any better. I also have an AJ500R in my collection, and it's well worth the price, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a regular lurker on the electric forum but this is my first post over here. Just got my AJ500M yesterday & I am thrilled. I expected a lot given the great press the Masterbuilts have received but this guitar far exceeded my expectations. The action is superb. The tone is booming. I'm lovin' it & if they're all as good as mine I've certainly got to recommend them to everyone.

Archived