Gibson Brands Forums

tone controls on VJr

wpkg

Hello

I would like to be able to turn the treble down on my VJr Head. is this what the tweed control mod does? I am guessing all the tone knobs turn treble down rather than boost it right?

I am trying to get the amp to give me more of a jazz sound. that muted jazz sound...

that sounds like it might be it. does the bitmo control do the same but in a different location?

and how much treble gets cut/boosted. big range or small range?

Yep, depending on where you put it, it does the same job, but in slightly different ways. The BitMo style tweed pot gives the amp more gain and sounds more Fendery bright as a result. If you're going for a Marshall, or vintage 50's Fender Tweed tone, the BitMo style tone pot can take the amp in the wrong direction, IMHO. But if you want 60's Fender Blackface or Vox tone, the BitMo tone pot on a VJr is hard to beat.

The true tweed tone pot placed across the volume pot can sound more natural and neutral in it's overall effect on tone, and what little boost you do get is more similar to the tone of a simple bright cap on the volume pot; but unlike the BitMo version, the true tweed tone is interactive and does become less effective as the volume knob is rolled up. That took some getting used to, but I soon realized that as the volume went higher, I didn't need the extra boost anyway. And even with the volume on 10, you've still got the ability to cut treble on the 0-5 side of the tone knob.

Gil...

I've been using the Tweed tone control for the past couple of months on a Marshall modded Vjr and really like it a lot. Its' effect is pretty subtle, but its' become essential for letting me get great tone out of either my Strat or my SG without doing anything else to the amp other than twisting the tone control one way or the other depending on the guitar I'm using.

hey gang,

you know i've thinking about the way the bitmo colrs the tone on my marshall mod and want to try something different on my vox - so two things....

first is that I've got a 500k pot and some caps around - can i use that to try the tweed tone on my vox mod and what would the difference be without the 1M pot (less gain?)

second - can I just throw that bitmo tone across the input fo the marshall mod or is it goin to mess with my input gain too much?

thanks!

zoki

Archived