Gibson Brands Forums

Switching out PUPs

Magnum821

Many thanks to all who have helped me out prior. Real sorry if this is too noobie.

In switching out the stock Epi pickups on the ES-175 with Gibson 57's (or others if best recommended - $$ is somewhat a factor), do I buy 2 identical 57's or is there a different pup for the neck and bridge? Man, do I feel like a neeeeewbieeeee. . . . .

Thanks much all . . ..

Mag

As you know your guitar already had a set of Epi 57 Classics in it. The Gibson 57's would be be perfect.

There are several companies who make replacement pickups that have that Classic or "vintage" tone. Duncan, diMarzio are just two. Other replacement pickups may be a bit hotter and have a more modern "darker" sound.

If hand wound pickups at a reasonable price are something you're interested in I would recommend Manlius pickups.

manliusguitar.com

I put a set of his Fat Dianes in my Elitist and am quite happy. Price is less than Gibson pickups too.

If you're on an extreme budget, the GFS Vintage '59 set are worth looking at and are a big step up from stock Epi pickups IMO.

Good luck.

Guitars like the ES-157 and the ES-335 ("Dot") tend to have regular output pickuops in both positions, such as the aforementioned '57 Classics. The Elitist ES-335 is similar, with a 50SR and a 50ST pickup. Usually you only see a hot bridge pickup in the more "rock oriented" guitars such as the Les Paul or SG. So it's up to you; stick with the regular '57s or equivalent if you want that traditional ES-175 sound but don't be afraid to use a '57 Classic Plus in the bridge position if you are looking for something a little raunchier than stock.

I've noticed with Seymour Duncan pup's the magnet spacing on the bridge pup is wider then on the

neck for proper alignment with the strings.

Something to consider when ordering and buying pup's.

Peter

I think this is more of a modern concept but not exclusive to Duncan by any means. It is a good idea though. But the more "vintage" style you go, the less you'll see this. So it isn't a life or death thing. IMO it just depends on how "modern" or "vintage" you want to go with your tone.

On my Epi LP custom I had to redrill the mounting holes slightly to make the SD pearly gates pup poles line up with the strings. Not a big deal, but I like for things to line up. I also had to route the pup cavity slightly with a Dremel tool to move the pup slightly down toward to bottom of the guitar toward the pickguard to achieve this.

Archived