Gibson Brands Forums

is there a quick way to make the VJr smoother, less brittle?

It's nice that the latest VJ production is coming with an EH12AX7 from stock. Still the very ordinary Sovtek EL84, but at least the preamp tube is now one of the better popular choices. Fine for folks who like the sound a bit on the pushy side. The JJ is good option for hose wanting a smoother and more gentle sound.

The JJ EL84 makes a nice difference in the power stage.

it should certainly take more than 30 seconds for heat to be a problem source.

The warm up time should be at least two minutes. So another 30 seconds would be zip.

It's playing through it, using the volts, I'd guess.. help me out gil.

I'd guess tube first because it's always smart to have a spare anyway.

But I wouldn't be surprised .. can't in fact. because I don't know if it's stock or modded.. at something else being the cause.

TWANG

I've noticed my VJr sounds good for about 30 secs until it heats up and it starts to sound brittle. Is there a quick mod to make it run a little smoother?

Definitely not enough information to go on here. I certainly agree with Twang on the warm-up time...30 seconds is not enough time for heat to be an issue. 30 seconds isn't even enough time to start playing, let alone hear definitive changes in tone.

It may be that you've got a gassy tube that sound ok UNTIL it warms up, at which point, it falls apart.

Archived